Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

26 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

So this unnamed "evaluator" -- whatever that's supposed to mean -- says it's 50-50? You have to respect a guy who's willing to go out on a limb with a prediction like that. And now that Buster has passed that along, I feel so much more informed. Not.  :down:

Anonymously, no less.  xD

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Glad you mentioned KC.

Maybe it's because I am an Orioles fan, but I don't feel like the media rides the Royals as hard as us. Their future is just as dire, if not moreso. They are all in, choosing to go down in flames. Their farm is very weak, and they aren't trading any of their core guys who will be gone after the year. 

But I feel like when the Orioles get mentioned at the deadline, we get ridden for trying to compete this year, when we even have more time than the Royals to trade some pieces in the future.

Someone help me understand why notions of the Royals trying to compete this year is seen as romantic, without any mention of the future, whereas when we do it, it's that we are doomed to post '97 demise if we don't sell our assets. 

I believe the Royals should get a similar level of scrutiny. 

Well I do agree with you that the national media likes to rib the O's.

However, to compare the Orioles trying to compete this year with the Royals trying to compete this year is a huge stretch.  The two teams are in very different circumstances this year.

Orioles - 7.5 games back in division with 3 teams to pass, 5.5 games back in WC with 6 teams to pass. -76 run differential, 2.7% playoff odds (Fangraphs)

Royals - 3 games back in division with 1 team to pass, In the second WC spot, -2 run differential, 55.7% playoff odds (Fangraphs)

SO it's like saying you should be willing to bet as much on a 1 in 40 chance to win a prize as you would is you had a 11 in 20 chance at the same prize.

Both the Royals and the Orioles are likely to be screwed if they don't rebuild, but at least the Royals have a reasonable shot at competing.

43 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I am highly skeptical that the O's could get a better deal for Britton than the Yankees got for Chapman.  Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but as far as I know the only top prospect who has changed hands in this deadline cycle has been Eloy Jimenez (in the Quintana trade).  To get a top-10-in-MLB prospect like Gleybar Torres plus additional pieces for Britton would be a major coup for Duquette; asking for more in this market, with Britton's recent health issues, sounds like a way to ensure not making a deal at all.  

Gleyber Torres was a top 30 guy at the time, ranking in the upper 20's.  He has moved up since then.

49 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

You might be right based on what Olney has to say. But seems like alot of teams are interested

If you don't ask for too much, you're not doing your job.  Our GM has to make other GMs think about giving up more in prospects than they ever thought they would.  That's how you cash in Zach Britton. 

Our GM knows our chances of getting to the playoffs is around 2-3%.  Even if his internal assessment puts those odds at 10%-15%, he should know that he has to cash in Zach Britton for several quality pieces - one of which hopefully can help next season - like a Verdugo while also reducing payroll.

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's hard for me to believe that Britton is more coveted on the open market than Brach right now. 

Time is ticking away. Less than 24 hours. I think we see Brach and Smith dealt and Britton stays.  

Getting a little nervous, I just hope we do something...

36 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

If you don't ask for too much, you're not doing your job.  Our GM has to make other GMs think about giving up more in prospects than they ever thought they would.  That's how you cash in Zach Britton. 

Our GM knows our chances of getting to the playoffs is around 2-3%.  Even if his internal assessment puts those odds at 10%-15%, he should know that he has to cash in Zach Britton for several quality pieces - one of which hopefully can help next season - like a Verdugo while also reducing payroll.

You sure he knows. The Hellickson trade was rather silly to me. 

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's hard for me to believe that Britton is more coveted on the open market than Brach right now. 

Time is ticking away. Less than 24 hours. I think we see Brach and Smith dealt and Britton stays.  

I think its the potential of Britton that makes him attractive. His stuff is the same and his velocity is up so maybe scouts think all he needs is a mechanical adjustment plus the team that gets him has him for another year. 

Brach, I think will be traded to the team that loses out on Wilson or if Hand is pulled off the market. 

Tomorrow I think Britton, Brach and Smith are traded. Don't see anyone who wants Castillo 

11 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think its the potential of Britton that makes him attractive. His stuff is the same and his velocity is up so maybe scouts think all he needs is a mechanical adjustment plus the team that gets him has him for another year. 

Brach, I think will be traded to the team that loses out on Wilson or if Hand is pulled off the market. 

Tomorrow I think Britton, Brach and Smith are traded. Don't see anyone who wants Castillo 

Which of the contending teams could really use an upgrade at catcher?

Archived