Gray Fenter

Riley Magee

10 hours ago, ScGO's said:

What is his repertoire?

Moore was most impressed not by Fenter’s fastball but by his assortment of off-speed stuff that kept the Crawdads guessing.

“The curveball’s always been there because his curveball’s been his best pitch - super sharp curveball. ... The slider’s something he’s just learned this year. Him and (pitching coach Justin Ramsey) have worked on that and done a great job,” Moore said. “The other thing, his fastball command was better the last three outings that it’s ever been. When he’s hopping that fastball at the bottom of the zone, those other two (pitches) really become factors.”

Rutschman was impressed with how Fenter used his fastball to get ahead in the count, something the Crawdads never quite adjusted to.

“It makes my job easier and I get to sit there and kind of enjoy the show,” Rutschman said. “He was on, he was lights-out with all his pitches. It was fun to be able to mix with him, be able to locate his fastball and just work off that.”

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2019/09/fenter-dazzles-with-13-strikeouts-but-delmarva-offense-sputters-in-1-0-loss.html

13 hours ago, ScGO's said:

What is his repertoire?

It’s a FB 91-96, generally drops to the lower end of the range later in games. I’m not sure what the spin rate is, but it’s got some hop and it’s a very high 3/4 arm slot so it gets that backspin. His best pitch is his curveball which has been plus this year and he fill up the zone with. He’s been working on his changeup and the new slider, I haven’t seen those pitches be particularly good, but the slider has improved. It’s more control than command when he’s not walking people. It’s kind of hard to lock down on his command because his age relative to competition. He looks like a reliever to me, but there have been some real improvements and he’s kind of like a poor man’s Baumann.  Near vertical arm slot, bat missing fastball, plus breaking ball, developing a second breaking ball, and working on a changeup. Baumann has 2-3 ticks more velocity, better durability, and I think the slider is a little better than Fenter’s curveball. The other thing is Fenter’s 23 in A ball and his ability to locate is really going to get stress tested at higher levels and may not play the second time through a lineup sitting 93-94. 

I think they must have held him in A ball to try and throw models off of him as far as getting targeted for the Rule 5 draft. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, Frobby said:

Yesterday’s game may make him a little hard to hide.   

I kinda wondered if Elias kept him in Low-A ball year to hide him a bit. I've always like the fastball-curveball combo but his command took big leaps and bounds this year. 

I still see him ultimately being a fastball curveball reliever, but nothing wrong with seeing how he looks as a starter. I think he'll throw harder as a reliever and sit more 95-97 with that hard breaker making him perhaps a Joe Kelly-type of reliever.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, Tony-OH said:

I kinda wondered if Elias kept him in Low-A ball year to hide him a bit. I've always like the fastball-curveball combo but his command took big leaps and bounds this year. 

I still see him ultimately being a fastball curveball reliever, but nothing wrong with seeing how he looks as a starter. I think he'll throw harder as a reliever and sit more 95-97 with that hard breaker making him perhaps a Joe Kelly-type of reliever.

I have Fenter on my 40 man roster after the season is over.    I want to see what Elias does but I would think he keeps him as a starter at Frederick next season and if he does well in the 1st half moves to Bowie for the 2nd half.  I think Elias will try to keep those players that he sees as talented even if it cost a 40 man roster spot.

I don't think exposing him to the Rule 5 draft is a desirable thing to do considering the some other GMs probably think like you do that he was held back and not promoted during the season.   Like you say some teams may see him as  a ML reliever now.

16 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

I just briefly scanned this top 30 list.  I am not in agreement with  the order and prospects included in list, especially in the second half of it.  Can't wait to see the Hangouts top 30 list.  I don't think it will resemble this list much at all

51 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I just briefly scanned this top 30 list.  I am not in agreement with  the order and prospects included in list, especially in the second half of it.  Can't wait to see the Hangouts top 30 list.  I don't think it will resemble this list much at all

I actually think they are pretty spot on for the top ten.  I might have Rom at 10 and Gunner just outside, maybe at 11.  But it's all pretty reasonable. 

The rest of the list 11-30 I think will be quite different on the Hangout.  Two noticeable absences on the pipeline list are Bruce Zimmerman and Darell Hernaiz.  I can see both of them cracking the Hangout's top 30.  On the flip side, I don't see Cadyn Grenier (21 on Pipeline) and JC Encarnacion (28) making the Hangout's top 30

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Crazy, I could not disagree more.  Dude had a 17 year career, accumulating over 50 rWAR.  He's a Hall of Famer for goodness sake and you wouldn't waste a spot on the 40 for him?

He might have meant "Joe Kelly".  I know you were kidding... probably.