Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

If you're the Brewers...

Weeks for Roberts is plausible. They might give 3+ years of Weeks for 1+ year of Roberts if they felt the upgrade was significant enough.

Gamel/Laporta, Escobar and Jeffress for Sherrill and Burres... LOL. Not in a million years. Sherrill would certainly give the BP a shot in the arm, but the Brewers are loaded with serviceable #5 starters (Bush McClung Villanueva Capuano). Adding another of those does them no good.

So you're left with 3 of their top 5 or 6 prospects for Sherrill. Hey I'd love it if they did that, but... dream on.

At this point, I think Roberts is worth more than just Weeks though.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And neither are you, so you have no idea what they would think about that trade. You are speculating as much as I am.

I'm speculating from the Brewers' point of view, though. Therein lies the difference.

I like the idea of getting younger but currently Weeks’ would be a huge down grade defensively, offensively and on the bases, what would we get besides younger? I think a better offer will come along in July.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that's in it for the O's is they get a couple extra years of service time (not that there isn't value there).

Upside notwithstanding, right now Roberts is better than Weeks virtually across the board.

I'm speculating from the Brewers' point of view, though. Therein lies the difference.

But you don't know what their point of view is.

It is one thing to say tha tthe deal, while fair, doesn't go with the philosophy of the Brewers.

It is another thing to say the Brewers are getting ripped off...They aren't getting ripped off in the deal.

If they don't want to "go for it" this year, then the deal is pointless for them.

But if they do, BRob is a big upgrade over Weeks and Sherrill helps them out immensely...Now, Burres may do them no good and that's fine but it doesn't change much of the deal...Perhaps the 4th player does not have the upside of a guy like Jeffress but the main pieces(Weeks, Escobar and Gamel/Laporta) should stay the same.

What would be very interesting is if the Brewers want all of DCab, Sherrill and BRob.

There are so many options with the Brewers right now...The one you could see the easiest for them is Sherrill because of his salary and service time but DCab and BRob make a lot of sense for them as well.

And if the Cards get in on BRob, the Brewers may be forced to pay a little more if they really want Roberts.

No, you are just speculating. Anyone looking at their situation, needing to win this year and having a need for a lead-off hitter who gets on-base would value Roberts over Weeks. At some point the Brewers have to look past the future.

Stick to the Cubs.

This post was fine until you edited to add that pointless cheapshot at the end. Just stick to the topic and skip the personal attacks.

My opinion is that the Brewers would not pay much, if anything to go from 3+ years with Weeks to 1+ year with Roberts. That amount of service time is a pretty huge factor, especially for a team like the Brewers.

Sorry, I know how sensitive you are and that you would never take a cheap shot.

Not to take any sides in this lil' debate, but it might be worth pointing out that Dave is the National League Board analyst, who happens to have a "specialty" with the Cubbies.

This post was fine until you edited to add that pointless cheapshot at the end. Just stick to the topic and skip the personal attacks.

My opinion is that the Brewers would not pay much, if anything to go from 3+ years with Weeks to 1+ year with Roberts. That amount of service time is a pretty huge factor, especially for a team like the Brewers.

Dave, i am not saying you are wrong but how long are the Brewers going to sit around and wait for things to happen for them?

They have a lot of talent right now and can afford to move some pieces for a chance to win.

Dave, do the Cubs have a similar website, or do you just really like it here?:rolleyes:

I think this is a very important question that should not just be looked over. I think there are many on here that would like this answer. I am sure that there may even be a few that will help find one if there are none that are known currently.

Dave, i am not saying you are wrong but how long are the Brewers going to sit around and wait for things to happen for them?

They have a lot of talent right now and can afford to move some pieces for a chance to win.

You're taking *all* the pieces, though. Emptying the farm is something you do when there's a Miguel Cabrera or Danny Haren coming back, not a George Sherrill plus a lateral move at 2B.

They may indeed "go for it" but IMO they'd be much smarter about it than what you're laying out here.

I would like my title changed to American League Board analyst, since I watch so much American League baseball, with a "specialty with the O's.;)

I am guessing you'd have to take a number and get in line for this request (and a change in title). ;):)

You're taking *all* the pieces, though. Emptying the farm is something you do when there's a Miguel Cabrera or Danny Haren coming back, not a George Sherrill plus a lateral move at 2B.

They may indeed "go for it" but IMO they'd be much smarter about it than what you're laying out here.

Lateral move? Come on...You just said in another thread that Roberts is better across the board than Weeks.

As of right now, BRob is probably worth 3-4 wins more than Weeks.

Sherrill helps them greatly.

And I am not taking all of their pieces...Escobar is blocked by Hardy and they apparently have another SS prospect that Crawdad mentioned....Gamel is likely to be moved off of 3rd but they obviously can't go to first with Fielder there...Laporta has similar issues.

Weeks would obviously not be needed if BRob is there.

So, really we are talking about taking 2-3 prospects and their current everyday disappointing second baseman.

That is hardly everything especially since they apparently also have some other CI prospects that have been mentioned in this thread.

Sounds to me like the Brewers have built a very strong and deep farm system, especially in terms of position prospects and they already have a lot of young guys on the team now.

Archived