Assume we don’t trade Manny and he walks

Frobby

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Any first baseman who throws right-handed and can move should be an option at 3B. You don't have to be a gazelle to do a decent job there.

I think that's not as true as it used to be, because of shifting. While third basemen used to have limited ground to cover (and many of the great fielders at third, including Brooks, were  ultra-quick but not fast on their feet), they now sometimes find themselves in situations where more range is  an important. asset 

That said, I've asked on here before whether Sisco might be converted to a third baseman if he hits but can't make it defensively behind the plate.  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

But Machado won't be here after next season, so it really doesn't matter how good he is.

Probably true, but I was adressing the artilce that speculated the O's would move Machado to SS and sign a free agent like Moustakas or Frazier.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

With the O's not being a major market team, I don't think it's realistic to sign Machado AND sign a high-priced free agent to play 3B.  Machado might be slightly better defensively than Beckham at SS, but that difference is probably doubled by how much better Machado is at 3rd base vs Frazier or Moustakas.  

LOL, That's like saying Niagra Falls is slightly bigger than McKeldin Falls in Patapsco State Park

Beckham is not a ML starting SS and I'm sure Buck knows this.

A team that starts Jones in CF and Beckham at SS is DOA

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

LOL, That's like saying Niagra Falls is slightly bigger than McKeldin Falls in Patapsco State Park

This is silly Beckham hate.

18 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Coming from you (nonstop negativity) with nothing to back it up, there's no credibility there.  Machado's a lot heavier than when he entered the bigs.  I wouldn't bet on him being significantly better at SS than Beckham at this stage of his career.  Maybe he could lose the weight, but I wouldn't bet $300 million on it.  

22 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Coming from you (nonstop negativity) with nothing to back it up, there's no credibility there.  Machado's a lot heavier than when he entered the bigs.  I wouldn't bet on him being significantly better at SS than Beckham at this stage of his career.  Maybe he could lose the weight, but I wouldn't bet $300 million on it.  

He will be better than Beckham with consistency fewer errors and much better arm. Manny 's arm is as good as Tejada's was IMO, and he has better range. He wont be as good as he is at 3B but much better than Beckham IMO.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Manny has started 49 games at SS and has made 8 errors there.   That projects out to about 25 errors over 162 games.

Coincidentally, Beckham has also started 49 games at SS for the Orioles and made 9 errors.

Beckahm has started 163 games at SS and has made 24 errors.

If Manny played a whole season at SS he would have far fewer errors than Beckham.

Look at latest news about Manny.  I think we made need to trade him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2745308-manny-machados-already-huge-400m-free-agent-value-may-soon-rise-even-higher?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

I really hate to see him go, especially seeing him as a Yankee.  It is really sad.  It is getting almost impossible to have a good team unless you are filthy rich.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree. Beckman did post a 2.0 WAR here, while not exactly MVP worthy, he was twice as good as a replacement player.

Beckman is a bit shorter than Cal, but according to their bio, they are in the same neighborhood.

You're selling it short. 2.0 WAR in only 50 games is actually near MVP-level pace. Over a full season that's about a 6.5 win pace.

Just now, Babypowder said:

You're selling it short. 2.0 WAR in only 50 games is actually near MVP-level pace. Over a full season that's about a 6.5 win pace.

Thanks, I really wasn't trying to sell the dude short, I thought he was a solid player for us, and the way you explain it, it proves he was.

I think it was beyond stupid to claim he isn't a big league player.

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks, I really wasn't trying to sell the dude short, I thought he was a solid player for us, and the way you explain it, it proves he was.

I think it was beyond stupid to claim he isn't a big league player.

Of course I don't think that's the kind of player he is. He's most likely to be in the ~2 win range over a full season, in my opinion. That's still a decent player.

Archived