Orioles Pursuing Danny Duffy

eddie83

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could live with them trading Harvey on if this follows on the heels of a Manny deal where they got someone like Lucas Giolito and other prospects. Giolito (or another guy) basically replaces Harvey in the system and is Mlb ready. 

I think Mancini could make sense for the royals if they don't sign Hosmer which would suck. 

5 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

I can believe their going after Duffy.  They want to be competitive and essentially refuse to do an all-out rebuild.  They will get prospects for Manny and give others away for Duffy here.  One step forward, one step back.

It would be consistent with a "reload" tactic. At the moment it seems they prioritize upgrading the rotation through a Manny trade and a trade for Duffy. I doubt either of these things actually happen, but that's what it looks like. 

Gausman

Bundy

Duffy

Someone from Manny trade

Castro/Cortes/Who knows

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

So we have a club policy not to give 4 or 5 year contracts to free agent pitchers.

But we would TRADE for a guy with 4 years left on a significant contract?

How does that make sense?

(And I'm not opposed to Duffy necessarily, would depend on what we give up for him.   I am just trying to understand the seeming contradiction).

Rules are rules, but you have to be ready to break your rules for a stud like Danny Duffy . . .   guess. :bangwall:

No to this proposed trade--regardless of what prospects the O's would send to the Royals.  This proposal has BAD written all over it.  When healthy Duffy is a PRETTY GOOD lefty pitcher.  His injury history screams BIG RISK.  No thank you.  Money that can be better allocated elsewhere.

Who knows but on some levels big picture wise it makes some sense.  

They will not sign top shelf FA pitchers or overpay for the mid tier. If the Orioles actually keep this kind of a payroll then as long as you develop enough position player prospects you can flip some for pitching. I think it is easier for this organization to fill holes via FA on the hitting side than pitching.  

What I would do is go to Gausman’s agent and talk to him about an extension. We know how hard it is to get anyone of quality to come here. Try to buy out a couple of FA years. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

So we have a club policy not to give 4 or 5 year contracts to free agent pitchers.

But we would TRADE for a guy with 4 years left on a significant contract?

How does that make sense?

(And I'm not opposed to Duffy necessarily, would depend on what we give up for him.   I am just trying to understand the seeming contradiction).

I get all this but if Duffy was a FA today how much is he getting? Only quality arms are getting 4 or 5 years. If you trade for someone you aren’t being outbid plus the pitcher can’t say no.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Good question.   I think the O's would pay that much considering the market but I am not sure they would do it for a pitcher with Duffy's injury history.  TJ surgery with arm and elbow problems since that.

Duffy contract is extremely reasonable in today's market. It would take a ton to acquire him. What other pitcher do you think the Orioles could reasonably acquire for 4 years 59 million?

Just now, eddie83 said:

I get all this but if Duffy was a FA today how much is he getting? Only quality arms are getting 4 or 5 years. If you trade for someone you aren’t being outbid plus the pitcher can’t say no.  

Exactly. Duffy would be making far more as a FA. You'd  be getting a better pitcher than Ubaldo for Ubaldo money. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'm a bit skeptical he could pass our physical. 

I doubt he comes here. Having interest and having it happen are two different things.

Either way with how ownership is we need to try different ways to bring arms in here. Asking someone to pull off a Chen and a Gonzalez is possible but a long shot to work. Guthrie was a good move by Flanny and Jim Duquette. The more I think about it they need to try something different. The current method sure as heck isn’t working.    

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I doubt he comes here. Having interest and having it happen are two different things.

Either way with how ownership is we need to try different ways to bring arms in here. Asking someone to pull off a Chen and a Gonzalez is possible but a long shot to work. Guthrie was a good move by Flanny and Jim Duquette. The more I think about it they need to try something different. The current method sure as heck isn’t working.    

I don't think we end up making this deal either. Other teams are hot on his trail now and other teams have better prospects and an easier path to owner approval. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Exactly. Duffy would be making far more as a FA. You'd  be getting a better pitcher than Ubaldo for Ubaldo money. 

And like I said he can’t tell you no. 

Remember when Andy  traded for Millwood?  Nobody wanted to come here so Andy felt he had to do something to eat some innings. Milllwood didn’t want to be here. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

And like I said he can’t tell you no. 

Remember when Andy  traded for Millwood?  Nobody wanted to come here so Andy felt he had to do something to eat some innings. Milllwood didn’t want to be here. 

Nor did Jeremy "I suck in Camden Yards" Hellickson. We have to kidnap dudes to pitch for us. 

Archived