Orioles Pursuing Danny Duffy

eddie83

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Harvey's motion looks much better to me than it did in 2014....more leg swing and less strain on arm, elbow. 

In general, it looks to be a lower effort delivery. The 2014 video has him throwing from the stretch, where the 2017 video is from a full wind-up though.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I would guess too little.   After the year Sedlock has, does he have much value?   Even before he stunk last year, there were questions of whether he might be a reliever long term.   Could be wrong, but I'd think KC would want a young starter but someone better than Sedlock in the deal.     A lot depends on what you think the value of Duffy is.    Reports seem to say that he's highly coveted by multiple teams.    Some guys on here think he has little value and is an injury risk.  IE salary dump.

IMO he is not a salary dump but he is an injury risk.     I guy who gives you an average of 25 starts a season for the next 4 years with a ERA under 4.00.   I don't think too many clubs take on  4/59 contract and give the Royals two 1st rounders.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would guess too little.   After the year Sedlock has, does he have much value?   Even before he stunk last year, there were questions of whether he might be a reliever long term.   Could be wrong, but I'd think KC would want a young starter but someone better than Sedlock in the deal.     A lot depends on what you think the value of Duffy is.    Reports seem to say that he's highly coveted by multiple teams.    Some guys on here think he has little value and is an injury risk.  IE salary dump.

Duffy has surplus value, he's not just a salary dump although the Royals probably do want to lower payroll.  

Akin, Stewart and Sparks would probably be fair value, but another team may offer a better centerpiece.

11 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Duffy has surplus value, he's not just a salary dump although the Royals probably do want to lower payroll.  

Akin, Stewart and Sparks would probably be fair value, but another team may offer a better centerpiece.

I'd definitely do that, wouldn't you? And I'm a pretty big Stewart guy. I'm not sure that's enough from KC's perspective.

2 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I'd definitely do that, wouldn't you? And I'm a pretty big Stewart guy. I'm not sure that's enough from KC's perspective.

Like I said, I think it's probably enough in a vacuum, but there is probably a team willing to trade a 55 FV prospect (think top 60-100) as the centerpiece of a deal.  Stewart and Akin are 50 FV guys, Sparks is a high upside 40.  Our 55 FV guys are Harvey, DL Hall, Mountcastle, Sisco, and Hays (I have a 60 FV but some probably have 55) IMO.  I'm ok with trading Harvey or Mountcastle for a controllable starter, but Duffy isn't cheap, so I'm not sure I think that'd be smart unless they plan on extending Machado (aka going for it).

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Like I said, I think it's probably enough in a vacuum, but there is probably a team willing to trade a 55 FV prospect (think top 60-100) as the centerpiece of a deal.  Stewart and Akin are 50 FV guys, Sparks is a high upside 40.  Our 55 FV guys are Harvey, DL Hall, Mountcastle, Sisco, and Hays (I have a 60 FV but some probably have 55) IMO.  I'm ok with trading Harvey or Mountcastle for a controllable starter, but Duffy isn't cheap, so I'm not sure I think that'd be smart unless they plan on extending Machado (aka going for it).

I dunno. Let's say Machado brings back a ML-ready starter and you sign Moose to play 3B. Now you have a potentially decent rotation with a similar lineup. Maybe you trade Trumbo and add a different piece. You keep Britton and Brach, that could be a vaguely upgraded ballclub if things go your way.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno. Let's say Machado brings back a ML-ready starter and you sign Moose to play 3B. Now you have a potentially decent rotation with a similar lineup. Maybe you trade Trumbo and add a different piece. You keep Britton and Brach, that could be a vaguely upgraded ballclub if things go your way.

One ML starter doesn't meet the Orioles needs...if they added Duffy, and Flaherty...with Cortez perhaps you have enough but I doubt it.

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Interesting semi-zombie topic.  There's been absolutely nothing on this front for a while.

It seems like the Royals want a king’s ransom for him, but he’s not particularly cheap and I doubt anyone is up to meet the ask (sort of like with Manny).

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Weird. I like Duffy. But why trade for him when we could just sign Lynn?

Seriously, he still has 4/$60 mm to go on his contract.    Of course, we can’t force Lynn to sign here, but 4/$60 mm would probably get him.  

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It seems like the Royals want a king’s ransom for him, but he’s not particularly cheap and I doubt anyone is up to meet the ask (sort of like with Manny).

Yes, but I think the Royals know that losing Cain, Hosmer, Moss, probably Moustakas et al means they are not going to be competitive this season. Maybe Duffy is trade-able now that they "lost out" on Hosmer. That is how things may be different than the Orioles' situation with Manny: The Royals are looking to rebuild while the Orioles are in full compete-this-season mode. To be in full compete mode, they need to see Cashner as #4 and a battle for #5 that includes Tillman and everybody else in the organization. But they need one more pitcher who is a top 3 guy.

If they are not going to sign the three free agent pitchers who fit that profile because of length of contract or loss of draft pick, then the only reasonable option is to acquire a pitcher via trade. I would love the Orioles to acquire Chris Archer but I would be happy with Danny Duffy as the consolation prize. And they have to be willing to give up at least one of the top six prospects, probably with a mid-range prospect and a youngin' with lots of upside for Duffy. Probably have to give up a good deal more for Archer.

Can anyone name starters from teams that are tanking 2018 whom you would prefer over Duffy?

Archived