Orioles Pursuing Danny Duffy

eddie83

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think we end up making this deal either. Other teams are hot on his trail now and other teams have better prospects and an easier path to owner approval. 

Sure, I am just saying we may have to start risking trading some position players for pitchers considering all that works against us here. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hayes has to be untouchable. I could see Harvey and another prospect. 

Do the O's think they are winning anything with Duffy and no Machado? I'm sorry. I just don't see a competitive team here without Machado. Let's say we get Duffy, Jason Vargas, Giolito, Gausman, and Bundy. I mean, is that team winning 90 games? Seems far fetched. 

1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

Do the O's think they are winning anything with Duffy and no Machado? I'm sorry. I just don't see a competitive team here without Machado. Let's say we get Duffy, Jason Vargas, Giolito, Gausman, and Bundy. I mean, is that team winning 90 games? Seems far fetched. 

I think they could be pretty competitive with that rotation. It'd be young and there would probably be growing pains but it has a lot of potential. If they trade Manny I could see them signing a guy like Cargo to play left field to replace some of Manny's production.  They'd have to find a 3B but hopefully one comes back in the Manny trade. 

4 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Why do you see Hays as untouchable but not Harvey? But all accounts Harvey has his original velocity back, more than can be said about Bundy, and our system is devoid of top-tier pitching talent. Hays had a great year, but at the end of the day he's a corner outfielder.

24 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

What if we add another bat, with expiring contacts and Manny salary relief I can see them adding Moustakas

24 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think they could be pretty competitive with that rotation. It'd be young and there would probably be growing pains but it has a lot of potential. If they trade Manny I could see them signing a guy like Cargo to play left field to replace some of Manny's production.  They'd have to find a 3B but hopefully one comes back in the Manny trade. 

Why sign a Cargo? They have a lot of OF talent. Sign Frazier or Moustakas.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

A trade does seem unlikely here. But the difference to me is that he's already signed for an affordable amount. Giving a 4 year deal to a pitcher of Duffy's quality this offseason would be more like $80 million. The AAV for Duffy is not egregious, especially with the money that's off the books, and he's comparable to the mid-tier/top-tier FA starting pitchers that are available this offseason, but for less money. 

The 4/$59 still remaining on his contract would still be the most the Orioles paid a pitcher in the history of the franchise.

There is risk to Harvey, but there is too much upside IMO to deal him.  There is too much positive response from prospect evaluators on Harvey to move him.   I think Harvey fits in the category of letting him play it out in an Os uniform and deal with the results.

I don't know what it would take to land Duffy, but I am skeptical I would be willing to pay the price.  We were 15 games below .500 last year, we may be about to move MM, and the NYY and BoSox are going to get better this offseason.  The Os have a rare opportunity to be a seller when there are not too many sellers out there.  It appears DD is going to re-shuffle the chairs to make a faux run. 

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure sounds like it.   As for Harvey, of course I'd hate to deal him but just what is the upside of Harvey and what are the chances he reaches it.    I have not heard anyone call him a #1 type starter.    I have read that he's a #2 or even #3.    He's a 92-95 guy with a plus breaking pitch and a changeup that is below average and might become average.   He has not physically made it through a full season, EVER.       If the idea is to get Duffy, I'd certainly prefer to keep Harvey but I don't think I'd have a big problem if he was the only top prospect going back.    

I don't think you can get Duffy without it hurting.   Would you prefer to give up Hays instead of Harvey?    By your comments, I would assume you would prefer to deal Hays.

Well, look. Bundy was supposed to be a #1, Gausman was supposed to be a #1. Neither are, though Bundy can look like one some nights. If Harvey has two plus pitches, he's already set up better than  Kevin Gausman. 

7 hours ago, interloper said:

Nor did Jeremy "I suck in Camden Yards" Hellickson. We have to kidnap dudes to pitch for us. 

They’re all wimps.    When you pitch in OPACY, there’s a guy on the other team that also has to pitch there that night.    Your job is to allow fewer runs and pitch deeper in the game than that guy, playing in the same conditions you are.   It’s no different from pitching anywhere else in that regard.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’re all wimps.    When you pitch in OPACY, there’s a guy on the other team that also has to pitch there that night.    Your job is to allow fewer runs and pitch deeper in the game than that guy, playing in the same conditions you are.   It’s no different from pitching anywhere else in that regard.   

Plus no Front Offices make deals based on ERA anymore, they at least look at park adjusted metrics if not fielding independent park adjusted metrics. I would bet some teams have their own in house metric.

11 hours ago, oriole said:

I figure if Harvey didn't have health concerns then he'd be too much to offer. Duffy has his own health concerns.

Exactly. Plus If Harvey falls apart, you don't owe him 60M. 

Honestly id rather hang on to Harvey. If healthy, his upside is higher and that cost control.....

There is no way I am trading Harvey and/or Hays in a deal for Duffy.   The timing is just ridiculous.   When Harvey then turns into a Cy Young winner a la Jake or someone and Hays is an All Star, then we will say...hmmm...now I know what Seattle Mariners fans must have felt like for all those years.  

Archived