2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

I want him off the team, now. He's downright terrible, worst starter in the majors.

o

He threw the table over in the clubhouse immediately after the game, and he smashed the Gatorade cooler with one of Jonathan Schoop's bats.

A guy with that kind of fire in his belly is good for something. He's not like that weasel Nestor Cortes Jr, who once again had a smug look on his face after it took him 23 pitches to retire the Yankees in the 8th inning. It was a scoreless inning, but I don't care. Smug looks don't play in Major League baseball.

o

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

How much rope does Tillman get?  Are we looking at another Ubaldo deal where he finally goes in the bullpen at the end of May after catastrophic losses? Or do we cut bait and put him in long relief when Cobb is ready? 

Do you think he will provide value in the pen?

I'd DFA him.

I think what fans are not taking into account is that the O's will need 7-10 starters to get through he season.   Right now they have 6 counting Cobb.   They are one injury away from needing Tillman in the rotation.   So the O's are unlikely to DFA him as long as he  can go 5 innings and give up 3 runs.  

Yes, he does not look like they Tillman of old.  He looks like a guy that have lost his fastball and is pitching back to get outs.   If that is what he is than that is what the O's will need to deal with.

Today was better than his last outing.  Hopefully he continues to refine the stuff he still has.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think he will provide value in the pen?

I'd DFA him.

I'm with you on that. I'm afraid he will be on the team for the year. One of Bucks boys. He is a piss poor pitcher. But he is not going anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think what fans are not taking into account is that the O's will need 7-10 starters to get through he season.   Right now they have 6 counting Cobb.   They are one injury away from needing Tillman in the rotation.   So the O's are unlikely to DFA him as long as he  can go 5 innings and give up 3 runs.  

Yes, he does not look like they Tillman of old.  He looks like a guy that have lost his fastball and is pitching back to get outs.   If that is what he is than that is what the O's will need to deal with.

Today was better than his last outing.  Hopefully he continues to refine the stuff he still has.

Yes, technically his outing was "better", but an outing that corresponds to a 8.44 ERA vs 9.00 ERA for his first outing, and a WHIP of 2.25 vs a 2.75 WHIP for his first outing isn't exactly an improvement I would consider encouraging.

15 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Yes, technically his outing was "better", but an outing that corresponds to a 8.44 ERA vs 9.00 ERA for his first outing, and a WHIP of 2.25 vs a 2.75 WHIP for his first outing isn't exactly an improvement I would consider encouraging.

Please......   After 5 innings Tillman had given up 3 runs.   The score was tied.   It was Buck that pushed him to come out for the 6th.   It was too much to ask if the priority was for him to have a good outing.  But that was not what Buck wanted.  He wanted to push him so the next time he would go further.  And Buck knew the pen was thin so he got out of Tillman all he could.   That distorted Tillman's final results.  Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Just now, wildcard said:

Please......   After 5 innings Tillman had given up 3 runs.   The score was tied.   It was Buck that pushed him to come out for the 6th.   It was too much to ask if the priority was for him to have a good outing.  But that was not what Buck wanted.  He wanted to push him so the next time he would go further.  And Buck knew the pen was thin so he got out of Tillman all he could.   That distorted Tillman's final results.  Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Honestly, his stats today were better than how he pitched. His pitching was awful. His breaking balls looked decent at times, but his fastball was horrific.

12 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Honestly, his stats today were better than how he pitched. His pitching was awful. His breaking balls looked decent at times, but his fastball was horrific.

That is why he pitched backwards.  And he probably has to continue doing that to be effective.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is why he pitched backwards.  And he probably has to continue doing that to be effective.

Tillman doesn't have the command to pitch backwards or the stuff to attack hitters.  He has no hope unless his shoulder/stuff magically gets better. 

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Tillman doesn't have the command to pitch backwards or the stuff to attack hitters.  He has no hope unless his shoulder/stuff magically gets better. 

He is not a #1 anymore.  That what he was for the O's for a while.   He is a #5.   Or is trying to be.   He will not dominate.    He hopefully will eat innings and keep the O's in games.  i don't know if he gets better or he is what he is now.   

What I do know is that the O's are going to need more than 5 starters this year.   Probably more than 6.   Buck will work with him because he will need him this year.  The O's probably can't trade for a starter until June  or July.  Harvey may not be ready until then and his innings will be limited.  So don't expect Tillman to be DFA'd unless he fall completely on his butt.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

He is not a #1 anymore.  That what he was for the O's for a while.   He is a #5.   Or is trying to be.   He will not dominate.    He hopefully will eat innings and keep the O's in games.  i don't know if he gets better or he is what he is now.   

What I do know is that the O's are going to need more than 5 starters this year.   Probably more than 6.   Buck will work with him because he will need him this year.  The O's probably can't trade for a starter until June  or July.  Harvey may not be ready until then and his innings will be limited.  So don't expect Tillman to be DFA'd unless he fall completely on his butt.

I don't care, Tillman is atrocious. Horrific. If we need a spot starter, call up Ynoa or Aquino, both are better than Tillman.

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Yep, he needs much better command....both to more consistently get ahead of hitters and to minimize those ghastly meatballs he throws.  He showed some flashes today of a modified effective Tillman.  Got ahead with some nice breaking balls then managed a quasi-vintage rising fastball for the kill.  But most of the time I was waiting for something bad to happen.  The problem with his role as a #5 innings eater is that even when he was good Tillman, he often had trouble getting out of the first couple of innings.

Archived