Indians and Orioles discussing Givens

ISU94

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s reasonable to ask for Nolan Jones for Givens. 

You could ask for Mejia or Bieber for Givens, but I don’t think the Indians even consider that.

You have to remember, unless the player is the best player of the type (reliever, starter, etc) on the market, the Indians could use Mejia or Bieber to get a better player from another team.

Why would they give up Bieber when he is a solid member of their rotation? Makes no sense.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Flacco Machado said:

Yes, or maybe, Yu-Cheng Chang.

There's been talk he may move to 3B.

Get Crawford in the Manny deal, and Chang in this deal, and the left side of your INF is set in '19.

Glad you aren’t the GM. You want a SS that hasn’t batted over .250 since 2015 and will be out the next 4-6 weeks with a fractured hand?

Just now, sevastras said:

Glad you aren’t the GM. You want a SS that hasn’t batted over .250 since 2015 and will be out the next 4-6 weeks with a fractured hand?

I'd take a flyer on JP too. He was a top 3 prospect at one point and is super young. You do know guys like that can still put it together, right? Nothing wrong with getting a young mlber with upside that carries a lot of risk back in a deal. If JP figures it out he'd be the best piece we could get back from most anyone.

15 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I'd take a flyer on JP too. He was a top 3 prospect at one point and is super young. You do know guys like that can still put it together, right? Nothing wrong with getting a young mlber with upside that carries a lot of risk back in a deal. If JP figures it out he'd be the best piece we could get back from most anyone.

Wouldn’t say super young. He will be 24 next year and hasn’t put it together yet. 

Ortiz would be a better get. Plus, who cares who you put on the field next year? I want guys that will be ready 2020 or 2021. Not guys burning service time while we suck. Or who have already started the clock. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

What are the chances that player's value is as high as Givens' is in two years, or ever? Prospects/suspects?

I don't think you take that risk and wait to see if Givens can close and increase his value.

Right now, there is a pretty strong intersection of Givens quality performance via FIP and his contract status as well as our need to move everything of value.

The Indians know it.  We know it.  I think requests for Bieber and Jones are, to say the least, optimistic.

I think you ask for a mediocre reliever with mild upside in AA or AAA to replace Givens and then pluck two ore more quality younger or blocked prospects at High A or lower and shake hands.  Beginning this year, the Indians 6 and 7 rated prospects were 50 rated shortstops blocked by Lindor.  The Indians have young quality international signings at 9 Valera - 55 - OF - 17 years old, 12 Bracho - 55 - SS - 17 or last years second rounder Holmes 13th rated prospect with 55 rating who just turned 19.  If our FO can pop someone better, great, but we don't have a lot of the type of young lottery tickets in our system.

1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

I don't think you take that risk and wait to see if Givens can close and increase his value.

Right now, there is a pretty strong intersection of Givens quality performance via FIP and his contract status as well as our need to move everything of value.

The Indians know it.  We know it.  I think requests for Bieber and Jones are, to say the least, optimistic.

I think you ask for a mediocre reliever with mild upside in AA or AAA to replace Givens and then pluck two ore more quality younger or blocked prospects at High A or lower and shake hands.  Beginning this year, the Indians 6 and 7 rated prospects were 50 rated shortstops blocked by Lindor.  The Indians have young quality international signings at 9 Valera - 55 - OF - 17 years old, 12 Bracho - 55 - SS - 17 or last years second rounder Holmes 13th rated prospect with 55 rating who just turned 19.  If our FO can pop someone better, great, but we don't have a lot of the type of young lottery tickets in our system.

I think the chances of Gvens becoming a dominate closer are greater than the chances of a couple of high A high schoolers ever producing at the major league level. I'd rather invest in Givens near term future than in the long term future of low level prospects.

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

A Yankee package for DeGrom would include Andujar, Sheffield, Frazier plus Florial/Adams/Abreu etc.

I didn’t mean it’d be Bieber for one of those straight up, just that he’d be on the table for the right trade.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with Roch.  I don't see the O's trading Givens unless they are blown away by an offer.   It would take a whole lot to get him.  More than any other team is going to pay.

For the record, I agree the O's probably keep Givens, but I'd be happy to trade him for a solid return. There are zero current Orioles that I would be against trading.

56 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Crawford has a grand total of 163 ABs and has a good glove. Not saying he should be the main piece in the deal but he would be worth getting IMO

Archived