Renato Nunez the likely Machado replacement

ISU94

21 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

@Luke-OH Where's the scouting report? ;)

I'm not Luke, but I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express yesterday.

Nunez came over from the Texas Rangers on a waiver claim. A power hitter by trade, he showed it mainly when he first came over to Norfolk. Out of his 58 hits so far, 20 have been for extra bases (5 home runs, 1 triple, 14 doubles.)

For the record, 4 of his doubles and 2 home runs have come at home. The rest, on the road. He also his .100 points better on the road (.337 vs. 237). Slightly higher average vs lefties but shows more power vs righties.

For defense, he is going to be...Interesting. Not totally a "butcher of the hot corner," but he won't make you say "oh, thank you for taking over for Beckham!" @Tony-OH said it best: Every play there will be entertaining. His arm isn't the issue...His glove is.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vab said:

I don't know why Tillman wouldn't just stay down in the minors if he wants to keep playing. It's not like he can go free agency and get picked up by a major league team. He might end up being a good mentor for the youngsters coming up and maybe even transition into coaching eventually.

Time for Tillman to take up the knuckleball and pitch in the independent leagues. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

For defense, he is going to be...Interesting. Not totally a "butcher of the hot corner," but he won't make you say "oh, thank you for taking over for Beckham!" @Tony-OH said it best: Every play there will be entertaining. His arm isn't the issue...His glove is.

He can't be as bad as Jimmy Paredes.  I'll never forget when he botched a fairly routine grounder, and the slo-mo replay showed him physically flinching away from the ball.  So far he's the worst fielder I've had the "pleasure" of seeing.

24 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He can't be as bad as Jimmy Paredes.  I'll never forget when he botched a fairly routine grounder, and the slo-mo replay showed him physically flinching away from the ball.  So far he's the worst fielder I've had the "pleasure" of seeing.

Do you remember Pedro Alvarez?

3 hours ago, ISU94 said:

Good news. Gotta see how the young guys do.

I expected this as soon as it was obvious Manny was being dealt. I would like to see him play everyday as he hasn't had that chance yet. I think that Valencia will likely start to stoke up some interest between now and the deadline. Also I read that Nunez's defense was not very good so I'll be interested to see if thats the case.

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Do you remember Pedro Alvarez?

Most definitely - but while he was bad, I never saw him physically flinch away from a routine ground ball.  Paredes looked like a 5-year old just learning to play the game.  I'd never seen anything quite like that at the pro level.

I have to admit, Nunez slipped completely under my radar.   Until a week ago, I couldn’t have told you this guy was playing for the Tides.     Looks like he could be non-embarrassing with the bat (if Orioles hitters are even capable of being embarrassed at this point).   We’ll see how bad the glove is.     

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm not Luke, but I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express yesterday.

Nunez came over from the Texas Rangers on a waiver claim. A power hitter by trade, he showed it mainly when he first came over to Norfolk. Out of his 58 hits so far, 20 have been for extra bases (5 home runs, 1 triple, 14 doubles.)

For the record, 4 of his doubles and 2 home runs have come at home. The rest, on the road. He also his .100 points better on the road (.337 vs. 237). Slightly higher average vs lefties but shows more power vs righties.

Haha, actually I said he plays thirdbase like he's in the Army in the 1980's, "It's not just a job, it's an adventure!"

59 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Most definitely - but while he was bad, I never saw him physically flinch away from a routine ground ball.  Paredes looked like a 5-year old just learning to play the game.  I'd never seen anything quite like that at the pro level.

Mark Reyonlds bad? I warned my fellow Nats fans about putting Reynolds at 3B, had 2 errors his first game. How people don't do their research is beyond me, but Dave Martinez isn't a very good manager so...

It is NOT a fair comparison to compare Pedro Alvarez at 3B to Nunez. He is no whiz, this is true, but you can watch on MILB.TV anytime instead of assuming the worst. I love this move because I think he has potential. Who knows, he does well and maybe he has trade value or sticks around for a few years.

Nunez was a fringe top 100 guy and made some top 100 lists in his time with the A's. He definitely holds some upside.

I'd much rather be watching him and other young players with upside than seeing us trot out these vets that we know who they are. Would be pretty awesome to have a young player come up and play better than expected and maybe turn into something ala Jesus Aguilar in Milwaukee. He was DFA's by the Indians in 2016, looks to be working out pretty well for Milwaukee now.

Obviously that isn't the norm, but it happens. I'd love to be on the good side of these examples at some point.

Archived