Should Akin and Kline move up to get in a pennant race?

orioles22

I agree, especially given the newfound glut of starters assigned to AA - you’ve still got Brian Gonzalez, but also added Kremer, Tate, Ortiz, and Zimmermann in trades. Hunter Harvey may at some point return to Bowie too. Definitely move Akin up, as there are a couple non-prospects starting games for Norfolk.

I think Kline is probably ready too, and he needs to be on the 40 this winter, so may as well move him closer.

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I agree, especially given the newfound glut of starters assigned to AA - you’ve still got Brian Gonzalez, but also added Kremer, Tate, Ortiz, and Zimmermann in trades. Hunter Harvey may at some point return to Bowie too. Definitely move Akin up, as there are a couple non-prospects starting games for Norfolk.

I think Kline is probably ready too, and he needs to be on the 40 this winter, so may as well move him closer.

Could also promote Alvarado to Bowie, if you need to fill the rotation. And really, for a likely organizational guy, he has earned a promotion.

Akin was very good tonight.

7IP, 3H, 2R, 2BB, 9K

Got barreled a bit late when his command diminished some. Missed bats with FB, SL, and CH. Changeup is a strong pitch. Might be overconfident in his fastball (or the catcher is overconfident) at times, that's what caused the HR. He had a 1-2 count and had just made the guy look silly on a changeup, came back waist high middle in fastball that he hit the target on but got turned around in a hurry. 

The 2 walks were both full count numbers where he tried to get a chase on an offspeed pitch.

Velocity is more 92-95 than the 90-93 it was earlier in the year (according to the broadcast). 

He's first in the league in wins now with 11, first in strikeouts and third in ERA. He could be the Eastern League pitcher of the year even if he moves up, unless you have to finish the year there to qualify. I'd like to see him get five starts at Norfolk and maybe a couple in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

He's first in the league in wins now with 11, first in strikeouts and third in ERA. He could be the Eastern League pitcher of the year even if he moves up, unless you have to finish the year there to qualify. I'd like to see him get five starts at Norfolk and maybe a couple in the playoffs.

Woo first in wins.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I've noticed it's not cool to like wins, but I still like them a lot, going back to 71 when we had four with 20.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb to knock "wins" when the guys hasn't allowed more the 2 runs in any of his 11 wins.

10 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I've noticed it's not cool to like wins, but I still like them a lot, going back to 71 when we had four with 20.

I would like to disagree with the notion that CoC is cool.

But wins are a by-product of a lot of things - many - and perhaps most - of which are not under the control of the pitcher.  It's relevance in evaluating a pitching prospect is very little, imo.    

Both Akin and Kline should be moved up.  I'd actually move Kline up to the majors now.  I'm not sure there's much of a difference between AA and AAA for a reliever, and he'll soon turn 27.  Let's see if he's an asset.   

Archived