Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

39 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Usually, short range 2nd baseman, aren't able to handle the demands of the "hot corner".

He has greats hands and glove, but he is not going to be able to overcome the range issue, which decreases with age.

Maybe, maybe not.  It's really all academic at this point, and I don't see it happening.  I just wouldn't have a problem if it did and the O's could "buy low."

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I hate to say it because it's fun to watch him play, but it's probably going to make sense to trade him if he has a good first half next season.  As he re-establishes his value, I could see him getting the O's a better package than they got for Schoop.    

I tend to agree. He's not signed long enough to be a realistic option when the team is good again. You might as well move him. Overall, I think I could see Villar having a solid year next year. There's no question 2016 was a career year, but he had a good year in 2015 in Houston (albeit in a limited sampling). He then had a the monster 2016 before falling to earth last year. I don't thing the 117 OPS+ Villar is the real deal, but I do think a .335-.340 OBP bat with speed is real and that has value, probably more so at the deadline when teams start looking forward to building a roster for the postseason and speed plays bigger than it does in the offseason when the metrics are a more important factor.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

De Aza had a decent 2nd half with the team, and then the following year, forgot how to play baseball.

So did Beckham 2017! ...but Villar's 2016 establishes a higher ceiling than either Beckham or De Aza. I really think he is a solid ballplayer. I just wonder if there is a clubhouse factor that caused Counsell to sour on him.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So did Beckham 2017! ...but Villar's 2016 establishes a higher ceiling than either Beckham or De Aza. I really think he is a solid ballplayer. I just wonder if there is a clubhouse factor that caused Counsell to sour on him.

Is this what Aristotle would posit?  ?

17 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I hate to say it because it's fun to watch him play, but it's probably going to make sense to trade him if he has a good first half next season.  As he re-establishes his value, I could see him getting the O's a better package than they got for Schoop.    

I  hope they can keep him. He's what the O's need. He's young.