Orioles Radio Interview Policy?

Orioles1954

Over the past week, former Orioles in Brad Brach, Zach Britton (he was particularly candid) and Kevin Gausman gave radio interviews on 105.7 The Fan regarding their time in Baltimore. Interestingly, multiple hosts stated that exactly zero active Orioles have given interviews this season. I find that particularly strange given that 105.7 The Fan is the flagship station. Do the Orioles have a policy of not granting radio interviews during the season (outside of pre-game and post-game shows)? If so, I wonder why not? 

1 hour ago, Orioles1954 said:

Over the past week, former Orioles in Brad Brach, Zach Britton (he was particularly candid) and Kevin Gausman gave radio interviews on 105.7 The Fan regarding their time in Baltimore. Interestingly, multiple hosts stated that exactly zero active Orioles have given interviews this season. I find that particularly strange given that 105.7 The Fan is the flagship station. Do the Orioles have a policy of not granting radio interviews during the season (outside of pre-game and post-game shows)? If so, I wonder why not? 

Good point. Only thing I can think of is that for time constraint purposes and consistency, the O’s  negotiated that only radio interviews with players on 105.7 are the pre-taped pre-game ones. 

17 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Good point. Only thing I can think of is that for time constraint purposes and consistency, the O’s  negotiated that only radio interviews with players on 105.7 are the pre-taped pre-game ones. 

That has to be factor. However, I really think the Orioles are missing the boat with promoting their star players. I would think a franchise that is directly competing with Washington would want their talent broadcast everywhere whether through radio interviews, over the air broadcasts, streaming, billboards, etc? I'm frustrated with the lack of PR from the club (even during playoff seasons).I have to wonder how many area endorsements guys like Machado, Schoop, Britton, Gausman, etc. had? With exception to a Joey Rickard Royal Farms commercial, I never saw them. Instead, we get cheesy "America's Ballpark" pitches. 

18 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

That has to be factor. However, I really think the Orioles are missing the boat with promoting their star players. I would think a franchise that is directly competing with Washington would want their talent broadcast everywhere whether through radio interviews, over the air broadcasts, streaming, billboards, etc? I'm frustrated with the lack of PR from the club (even during playoff seasons).I have to wonder how many area endorsements guys like Machado, Schoop, Britton, Gausman, etc. had? With exception to a Joey Rickard Royal Farms commercial, I never saw them. Instead, we get cheesy "America's Ballpark" pitches. 

Endorsement deals are negotiated by the player's representatives and the advertiser, not the team or MLB.  The team is responsible for advertising the team.  That can and should include prominently highlighting the star players.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Endorsement deals are negotiated by the player's representatives and the advertiser, not the team or MLB.  The team is responsible for advertising the team.  That can and should include prominently highlighting the star players.

I think there might be a correlation between the Orioles not highlighting star players to the community and the lack of endorsements.

The Orioles highlight players in their commercials for upcoming series on MASN.  They have them on buses and billboards.  They are available to tape pre-game interviews and appear in interviews on MASN and 105.7's post game shows.  Having them do live interviews on the call in shows during the day seems like a reasonable addition.  But, I don't think there's a lack of effort by the Orioles PR department.

Archived