An Early Look at the 2019 Draft

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

So, you’re saying that a middling defensive catcher has more value playing catcher at the risk of his legs getting beat down and his hitting suffers...like Wieters...than to get better offensive production by keeping his legs fresher? Not sure I can follow that logic. Help me out there.

Wieters was NEVER that guy in the majors.  You can't say the playing time wore on him.  His numbers did dip a bit in July but then they rebounded in August, then jumped again in September.

Backup catchers are generally poor.  I'd rather not play someone poor if I can play someone that isn't poor instead.

I'd be fine with a heavy workload.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because I want to squeeze as much value out of those six years as I can.

I think his point was that Wieters would have hit better, and thus been more valuable, if he hadn’t borne such a heavy catching load. I’m not sure I agree with that, but it’s a viable theory.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think his point was that Wieters would have hit better, and thus been more valuable, if he hadn’t borne such a heavy catching load. I’m not sure I agree with that, but it’s a viable theory.  

Doesn't really show looking at his career numbers.  It isn't as if he stated strong then wore down as the season went on.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't really show looking at his career numbers.  It isn't as if he stated strong then wore down as the season went on.

We’ll never know. But there was certainly much more there, at least you most of us, apparently not you, but most think so. We disagree, so be it. 

Now I really don’t want Rutschman. ?

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

We’ll never know. But there was certainly much more there, at least you most of us, apparently not you, but most think so. We disagree, so be it. 

Now I really don’t want Rutschman. ?

I think he had the bad luck to have his outlier career year in the minors.

And it fooled almost everyone (myself included).

On 9/3/2018 at 6:12 PM, Ripken said:

Adding Witt Jr and V^2, along with 4 other top 100 picks, international signings, young long-shots, 3 or 4 Rule Vs, and whomever else, will be exciting.  Hopefully Davis ends up on the moon during that process, too.

The money alone that comes with high picks will change the whole system. Normally I think you have to do this for three years, But I could see how two might work. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

The money alone that comes with high picks will change the whole system. Normally I think you have to do this for three years, But I could see how two might work. 

Gotta get something out of the draft and trades from this season if we think 2021 could be respectable.  Possible.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think about Varitek. He was a great offensive and defensive catcher for many years. Dan acquired him, I believe. If this Rutschman kid is anything close, he'd be a great get. 

I agree with folks saying we have no idea who'll be atop the list next year. Witt Jr. appears the closest to a consensus #1, but something tells me he will not go first. 

3 hours ago, theobird said:

I want Rutschman. Clearly.

Who do you value more, Ivan Rodriguez or Derek Jeter?  I’ll save you time, Jeter has a little more than 3 WAR more over the careers. That part doesn’t matter to me, a HOF SS is always worth more to me than a HOF C. I’m not saying that Witt, Rut, Abrams or anyone one else is a sure fire HOF player. But all things equal, I take a middle IF over a C all day. Now if you were to say a HOF C or an All Star MIF. I would take the HOF C. But I don’t think we are projecting that. I would also take a projectable high school position player of a college position player if they were close. On the flip side I take a college pitcher over HS if they were close. I’m not saying I’m right with my preference and you are wrong with yours, I am just telling you the reason I value mine pick more than yours. In the end, I just hope the Os get the best player out of the draft. 

10 hours ago, weams said:

This all just shows how precious the times that the team can compete are. And how trading off  young players to try to enhance those opportunities is not necessarily bad. 

Even with hindsight I’d say the only really terrible trades we’ve made were all about money.  The attaching comp picks to “bad” contracts to get rid of guys. Similar idea with Gausman. 

Weren’t there three trades where we attached comp picks to in order to dump the contact?  Webb, Matusz , ????  I know we did it with the Norris deal with Hou but that wasn’t a salary dump. 

We should’ve just eaten the salary. 

Archived