Buck and TTP

Ohfan67

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta go, Buck.  Love ya, thank you for everything, but it's time for you to go.

Agreed. I love Buck. And have been OK with him coming back at points. But our pitchers have had their share of problems and we don't need this outdated crap in their heads. I don't think we should be jacking with their mechanics a bunch when they get to the major league level. That seems like a bad formula and it's not like we've been getting results out of our starting pitchers. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orioles pitching rank in MLB since 2011:

30, 14, 23, 7, 18, 19, 27, 29 (this year)

Four, five or six pitching coaches since he was hired, it's hard to keep count.

Developing, coaching, etc., pitching is not Buck's strength and arguably a strong weakness. 

Focusing on this one issue and wanting Buck gone because of it is a mountain out of a molehill.  Other than Arrieta and Strop, it's not like a ton of guys have left and all of a sudden were much better.

It seems to me that there is finger pointing now for a problem that happened years ago.  This is a development issue.  A guy shouldn't be hitting the majors where he can either have a reasonable TTP or execute a pitch.  This is the type of thing that should be getting worked out in the lower minors.  It's a problem to have a guy in the game north of 1.5 in TTP, much less late in a close game.  

You don't have to be quick to the plate with every pitch.  It's probably fine to be slower to the plate when you are throwing a change-up anyway.  You have to have be able to keep them honest by having a good portion of your arsenal that you can get there quick or effectively throw off a slide step.  That way the runners are at least having to roll the dice.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Considering Bill James consider its important, would that be safe to say, others in baseball, not just Buck are aware of the important of getting the ball to the plate>?

I'm not Drungo, he's the one that's the James fanboy.

I'm sure that Buck isn't the only one overly worried about holding runners.

31 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Orioles pitching rank in MLB since 2011:

30, 14, 23, 7, 18, 19, 27, 29 (this year)

Four, five or six pitching coaches since he was hired, it's hard to keep count.

Developing, coaching, etc., pitching is not Buck's strength and arguably a strong weakness. 

Well, the talent available to work with also is an issue.    However, I tend to agree that a critique of the Buck era has to begin with the starting pitching and there are legit reasons to lay some of the blame on Buck.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not Drungo, he's the one that's the James fanboy.

I'm sure that Buck isn't the only one overly worried about holding runners.

While I dont buy into all of Bill James, IMO, i thought he was considered a pretty knowledgeable mind of the game of baseball.

I know, we like to throw stones at Buck for TTP, and I have too.

But, you have to keep the runners from treating the game like slow pitch softball games.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, the talent available to work with also is an issue.    However, I tend to agree that a critique of the Buck era has to begin with the starting pitching and there are legit reasons to lay some of the blame on Buck.

I dont think its any surprise given that the catching situation has changed, so has the pitching.

I dont want to blame it all on catching, but it has to have some part in this.

I tend to agree that the change over in pitching coaches, has to have an affect on the guys.

They sure seam to have their share of failures from the many prospects.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

While I dont buy into all of Bill James, IMO, i thought he was considered a pretty knowledgeable mind of the game of baseball.

I know, we like to throw stones at Buck for TTP, and I have too.

But, you have to keep the runners from treating the game like slow pitch softball games.

I think the game has passed him by.

Sure, you have to limit it to some degree, but how much base stealing goes on today?

Not enough to worry about.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the game has passed him by.

Sure, you have to limit it to some degree, but how much base stealing goes on today?

Not enough to worry about.

You make good points.

I did have to laugh last week. I turned the game on,. I think Chris was on first, and the pitcher was worried about him and kept looking him back to the back,

Pretty funny, I guess their advance scouting report thought Davis was a threat. LOL

3 hours ago, esmd said:

Focusing on this one issue and wanting Buck gone because of it is a mountain out of a molehill.  Other than Arrieta and Strop, it's not like a ton of guys have left and all of a sudden were much better.

This isn't the only issue with Buck I have. Just responding to the topic. I thought TTTP was more of a holding runners logic. It seems Buck thinks the quicker you are to the plate, the better your mechanics are. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You make good points.

I did have to laugh last week. I turned the game on,. I think Chris was on first, and the pitcher was worried about him and kept looking him back to the back,

Pretty funny, I guess their advance scouting report thought Davis was a threat. LOL

Maybe the other teams are considering playing the O's like Spring Training games and the pitcher was just working at holding runners on?

Archived