Analytics

AZRon

According to the Orioles 2018 Media Guide:
Director, Analytics & Major League Contracts ---------- Sarah Gelles
Developer, Basball Systems --------------------------------------Di Zou
Vice President, Strategy, Analytics & Development - Scott Lewis
Information Systems - 4 person staff

The report linked below is 3 1/2 years old, but is worth the read. Among the 122 professional sports teams evaluated, the Rays rank 4th, the Red Sox 5th and the Yankees 6th.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story?id=12331388&_slug_=the-great-analytics-rankings#mlb-bal

3 minutes ago, AZRon said:

What about "spin rates"?
The Astros were ranked 2nd of 122 teams in the ESPN survey linked in my opening post.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2018/5/3/17316840/digging-into-the-data-astros-spin-rates

https://www.camdenchat.com/2018/10/22/18009860/baltimore-orioles-pitching-development

Your links are bad and you should feel bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Changes are coming to the Astros’ front office, as Sig Mejdal and Ryan Hallahan – members of their Ground Control analytics team – are leaving, per Brian McTaggart of MLB.com and Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle. Their exits come on the heels of director of research and development Mike Fast’s September departure. Both Mejdal and Hallahan had been in Houston since 2012. Mejdal, a former NASA researcher, joined the Astros as a director of decision sciences. He spent part of the 2017 season as a coach at the Class-A level, interestingly enough, and held the title of special assistant to the general manager, process development in 2018. Hallahan served as the Astros’ senior technical architect.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

On 10/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Because of the defensive shifts?

That was my thought. When the shift was a new thing, the O's were regarded as bleeding edge.

That said, this ESPN article just appears to be based on the authors' impressions, which is kind of ironic for a ranking of analytics programs.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.   What position did she take there?

All I can find are the tweets below, and they don't say. 

• Richard Justice
    RT @RichDubroffMLB: Another front office departure from #Orioles, Sarah Gelles, who headed up Baseball Analytics for the team, is headed to #Astros.
    Beat Writer / Columnist
  • Mike Ferrin
    RT @RichDubroffMLB: Another front office departure from #Orioles, Sarah Gelles, who headed up Baseball Analytics for the team, is headed to #Astros.
    Owner / Front Office
  • Rich DubroffMLB
    Another front office departure from #Orioles, Sarah Gelles, who headed up Baseball Analytics for the team, is headed to #Astros.
    Beat Writer / Columnist

Archived