Will Dickerson or Kirby Be Brought Back?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

What's your guess?

I think these are the only two possible candidates from last season's coaching staff. Mills has already signed a minor league contract. Russell was made bench coach because he couldn't move well enough to coach 3B. No chance they bring back McDowell, Coolbaugh or Diaz.

I sure hope not.

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

What's your guess?

I think these are the only two possible candidates from last season's coaching staff. Mills has already signed a minor league contract. Russell was made bench coach because he couldn't move well enough to coach 3B. No chance they bring back McDowell, Coolbaugh or Diaz.

I hope Kirby is. He has overseen a great defensive OF :)

30 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I hope Kirby is. He has overseen a great defensive OF :)

I think people make too much of the coaches.   Some of the teams Kirby coached had very good OF defense, others were awful.    Coaching and positioning helps, but a lot of times it comes down to personnel.   It’s not Kirby’s fault that Adam Jones got much slower as he aged, or that Mark Trumbo and Trey Mancini got put in the OF.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think people make too much of the coaches.   Some of the teams Kirby coached had very good OF defense, others were awful.    Coaching and positioning helps, but a lot of times it comes down to personnel.   It’s not Kirby’s fault that Adam Jones got much slower as he aged, or that Mark Trumbo and Trey Mancini got put in the OF.

I was kinda joking, although what then do we judge coaches on? I mean give me something positive that Kirby did that is quantifiable. 

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I was kinda joking, although what then do we judge coaches on? I mean give me something positive that Kirby did that is quantifiable. 

Quotes from players, both about Kirby and Dickerson. Players raved about Kirby as a coach, Bobby Dickerson even more so. Manny and Schoop cut their ML teeth with Bobby.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe one of their new teams can hire Bobby.

That's the thing, both seemed highly regarded, but I have no clue how analytically minded either were. With all the new stat-cast data available, I don't know how much either used or embraced it.

Archived