Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

In 1964, the average American family had an income of $4,576.  in 1977, it was $9,779.  It's certainly not the crazy money that players make today, but professional athletes were still well paid when compared to the average worker.

43 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Six figures!

Not many.    In 1967, the minimum salary was $6,000 and average was $19,000.   In 1975, the minimum was $16,000 and the average was $44,676.    You did have a few stars making $100-200 k.     But it was really only when free agency started in 1976 that salaries really began to balloon.  

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-mlb-salaries-chart-20160329-story.html%3foutputType=amp

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

Guys like Trumbo aren't worth much in today's game.  There will be five guys like him that are free agents that struggle to get deals.  Heck, the very best version of him, J.D. Martinez, garnered little in the way of interest last year.

And he still got well over $100m. And everyone basically knew he was going to Bos. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think it poisons a team when someone gets playing time just because they are paid a large salary and their performance is awful.  I'm sure that was one of many things that contributed to an awful clubhouse this year. 

Or letting guys pick their positions to get more money as a FA. I don't get the Davis hate. The Orioles made the mistake...not Davis.