Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

16 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Advanced analytics = swing the bat against (and crappy pitchers helps)

FWIW I think the advanced analytics would say his approach to date was largely the right one (or at least far better than what his results would indicate thus far).  Big knock would be that his K-rate was way too high (at 42.1% coming into today - like all numbers I will cite).  BB-rate is higher than his career average and tied with 2016 for highest of his career.  On batted balls, his LD% is better than his career numbers (29.4% vs. 22.8%) and his FB% is on par with career (41.2% vs. 41.4%).  Obviously, GB% is better as a corollary to those. Needless to say an improvement to last year as well.  The best thing to point to from an analytics perspective is his hard contact rate.  This season (coming into today, career and 2016 in parenthesis):

Soft contact - 5.9% (12.0% Career; 13.1% 2016)
Med contact - 47.1% (50.6%; 50.7%)
Hard contact - 47.1% (37.4%; 36.2%)

He should be having better results so far on the year based on that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m genuinely thrilled for Chris that this particular monkey is off his back.    Now we see if he can claw his way back to not being the worst hitter in baseball.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m genuinely thrilled for Chris that this particular monkey is off his back.    Now we see if he can claw his way back to not being the worst hitter in baseball.    

Zack Cozart?

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe he can claw his way back to not being the Orioles worst hitter ... Wouldn't take much to pass Mullins .132 and Martin .147.