Is Steve Wilkerson the next JD Martinez?

AceKing

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I don't think you understand how drafts work. 

Apparently not.  You guys are selling me hard on Steve Wilkerson and a bunch of other old dudes with early picks....when do you get the talented players? After they have been drafted by other teams?

15 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Apparently not.  You guys are selling me hard on Steve Wilkerson and a bunch of other old dudes with early picks....when do you get the talented players? After they have been drafted by other teams?

Because there are more talented players than pool money, so by going way under slot some on top 10 round picks (the only rounds were more money you saved could be used elsewhere) you can sign better talent. Blaine Knight had a big number in 2018, the O’s wouldn’t have got him without underslotting seniors in the 9th and 10th rounds. 

Also to respond to your other post, I didn’t say the only reason he was drafted was to save money, I said the only reason he was drafted in the 8th round rather than later was to save money for other picks. That money helped sign Tanner Scott in the 6th round for a 3rd round bonus.

• Upvote 2

As far as I can tell Jose Bautista is the only player who both played in the majors and was worth less than two wins through 28 who had a better career than Melvin Mora.

There are a number of players who didn't play in the majors at all until very late for reasons like the color line, and ended up with better careers than Mora.

Looking at all players in history from age 29-on, Mora is about the 200th best position player of all time.  With a career value from that age about the same as Robin Yount, Elston Howard, Goose Goslin, Joe Cronin, Ivan Rodriguez, Ernie Banks, Jimmie Foxx, Tim Raines, Kirby Puckett, Lance Berkman.  From 29-on Mora was waaay better than Duke Snider, Home Run Baker, Willie Keeler, Ken Griffey, Pie Traynor, Johnny Bench...

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

As far as I can tell Jose Bautista is the only player who both played in the majors and was worth less than two wins through 28 who had a better career than Melvin Mora.

There are a number of players who didn't play in the majors at all until very late for reasons like the color line, and ended up with better careers than Mora.

Looking at all players in history from age 29-on, Mora is about the 200th best position player of all time.  With a career value from that age about the same as Robin Yount, Elston Howard, Goose Goslin, Joe Cronin, Ivan Rodriguez, Ernie Banks, Jimmie Foxx, Tim Raines, Kirby Puckett, Lance Berkman.  From 29-on Mora was waaay better than Duke Snider, Home Run Baker, Willie Keeler, Ken Griffey, Pie Traynor, Johnny Bench...

Keep an eye on Justin Turner, he's certainly tracking.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It will be interesting to see. In the minors, he was a "gap hitter" who showed flashes of power on both sides. With his speed, if they clean up his path and get him to hit more consistently, he could rack up a good amount of doubles.

This was how they described Jose Bautista coming up with the Pirates.

Edit:  BTW I had not read any of the posts after the one quoted before posting this so I think it's interesting others have seen Bautista comparisons.  He is certainly one of the predominate examples of late bloomer.

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This was how they described Jose Bautista coming up with the Pirates.

Edit:  BTW I had not read any of the posts after the one quoted before posting this so I think it's interesting others have seen Bautista comparisons.  He is certainly one of the predominate examples of late bloomer.

So at this point we have to decide if Steve Wilkerson is going to be JD Martinez or Jose Bautista?

Ah the choices!

• Upvote 1