Orioles trying to acquire Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel from the Brewers?

SevisonJN

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Jayson Stark's blog:

Meanwhile, in Baltimore, teams that have talked to the Orioles are reporting that the team they had targeted in a Sherrill deal is Milwaukee -- whose system they've been scouting extensively recently. The Orioles are believed to have been asking about elite shortstop prospect Alcides Escobar and highly regarded third baseman Mat Gamel.

But Brewers GM Doug Melvin has been telling teams he isn't inclined to trade away any more prospects -- and told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Tom Haudricourt on Thursday that he doesn't anticipate trading for a reliever before the deadline.

Don't the Brewers have a young stud first base prosepct as well? I wonder if there's any way we could nab him or Prince. Could Sherrill and Reimold work? Probably not, but I bet something could be worked. I know we want Tex, so I am guessing we may not even try.

Get the Cubs and Cardinals bidding for him. MacPhail and Hendry could team up to get the Brewers or Cardinals to give...

Per Jayson Stark

Bill, Needham, SD: Displaced Orioles fan here, Jayson. Why wouldn't the O's trade Sherill into the AL east. Seems dumb when you could get some good prospects and Sherill would only "haunt" them for a year or two - whereas you could control, say, Michael Bowden for the next 6 years.

Jayson Stark: Two words: Peter Angelos.

Shoshana (Chapel Hill): So what do you think it would take to get Sherrill? The talking heads keep saying the O's are looking for a good young SS prospect (a position they desperately need). Who might fit that bill?

Jayson Stark: That's why they've been scouting the Brewers so heavily. I think they thought they had a chance to get everybody's favorite ss prospect, Alcides Escobar. But the Brewers won't even talk about him. Sounds like the Orioles then targeted Mat Gamel, who's going to be a star at third base (or maybe first eventually). But that's doubtful, too. That's the kind of players they're after for Sherrill. And I don't see them being able to get that for him, no matter how good he's been.

We need to hope for a 4-5 game losing streak where the Brewers blow almost all of them if not all of them in the last 2 innings.

The Cardinals are going through that now, so they are probably the best target. Still nobody thought we could pry Jones loose for Bedard...

Gotta package someone with Sherrill.

Brian Roberts would be about the only player with Weeks coming back IMO...

Then we could land Escobar or Gamel, most likely Gamel. I doubt they trade Escobar unless they extend Hardy...

The Cardinals are going through that now, so they are probably the best target. Still nobody thought we could pry Jones loose for Bedard...

Here's to hoping you are right! Would love a good SS prospect back in a deal.

Archived