Elias inculcating the analytics approach with the MiL pitchers

Frobby

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think you'd be surprised how disorganized and arbitrary player development often is in the pro game. 

I agree with that. What I'm saying is essentially if you pressed any pitching coach at any level of baseball, they'd be able to tell you things they work on that are specific to the individual. Perhaps that doesn't make it to the level of a plan for each pitcher, but many sure would think that's exactly what they had. I suspect the Orioles are instituting much more formalized assessment and teaching plans for each pitcher, which is why I said the plans now are on steroids relative to what was done before.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I highly suggest the book Big Data Baseball by Travis Sawchik (sp).  Its about how the Pirates, arguably the cheapest team in baseball, were doing this 5 years ago.  And even they were 5 years behind teams like Cleveland.

It has to start in the minors, because you have to get player and coach buy in from quants who never played professional ball.

In 5-10 years every player will be like "give me the data, tell me what to do" but now it takes an organization rebuild from the ground up.

I'm sure the Orioles were doing some level of data-driven decision making and strategy.  They were among the earlier(er) adopters of shifting.  They talked quite a bit about using more data and information in the Flanagan/Beattie era, compared to the 1960s ways of Syd Thrift.  But while the O's were getting 2% better a year the competition was at 5% or 10%.  They're far ahead of the old school ways of my childhood, but were still losing ground on the competition daily.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure the Orioles were doing some level of data-driven decision making and strategy.  They were among the earlier(er) adopters of shifting.  They talked quite a bit about using more data and information in the Flanagan/Beattie era, compared to the 1960s ways of Syd Thrift.  But while the O's were getting 2% better a year the competition was at 5% or 10%.  They're far ahead of the old school ways of my childhood, but were still losing ground on the competition daily.

Actually this was just cited in the book in the discussion about shifts.  The Orioles were indeed one of the bigger shifting teams in the league, to the tune of about 550 in 2013.  That same year,  the Astros were over 1000.

Frankly I am surprised they able to get Buck to do it that much.  But I would think it was a part way buy in, and if it's worth doing it part way it's probably worth going all the way.  I think the Astros adopted that policy under Lunhow and we will see it more here now.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, Ohfan67 said:

By the way, I have never used the word "inculcate". I'm not sure I've seen that word more than a few times. Frobby should get a Thesaurus gold star for the day! :)

As for Elias, he could use a good thesaurus or dictionary too... saying the results were "effusive." LOL. It would be more accurate to say he was effusive about the results. 

effusive
1. Unrestrained or excessive in emotional expression; gushy: an effusive manner.
2. Profuse; overflowing: effusive praise.

55 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Frankly I am surprised they able to get Buck to do it that much.  

I've been wondering how different of a manger Buck might be if he became expert in the modern ways of thinking about baseball. I feel like he was in the stone age a bit, but he was the cult of personality that could life a previously moribund franchise from despair to relative glory. 

Give that personality the knowledge and tools of guys like Elias and it might have been really special. 

On the other hand, maybe it was that personality that kept him from adopting the modern way of thinking in the first place.

Archived