O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Even if next years rotation includes Means, Bundy, Cobb, Akins, Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells?

The major problem with the current team is pitching.   Depending on who gets promoted from Bowie to Norfolk  in the 2nd half this season the pitching  could get better next season.  Not playoff better but player development better.

I agree that if some team is willing to over pay the O's have to listen to all offers.  But considering how many teams are going to be sellers in July the offers may not knock Elias over.

I hear ya and having a solid game caller would definitely help, but I'm not sure any of those pitchers are part of the future. I don't expect them to good next season. I just expect it to be a more bearable level of awfulness because we'll at least get to watch some of the younger players get regular ABs like Mountcastle, Hays and hopefully Diaz. 

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

100% And Dwight. And Trey. And Villar. And Nunez. And anybody. 

Completely agree. And honestly short of Sisco and "maybe" Means no one on the current roster will be part of the long term future of this team. They should be leveraging those players to stock the minors with high upside arms. 

33 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I want to hear it. If we can trade a catcher for a legit return, I'm all for it. We are in a rebuild and we did just draft AR after all.

With that said, I think he'd have to rake through July to net a serious return this year. Anything mediocre and the offers will be next to nothing. I think it's more likely that he'd get a better return if he can be good through the full season. We can always hope. (well, Drungo can't, but the rest of us can. :) )

Agreed. I'm not sure there will be a market for him...unless one of the contenders loses their catcher to injury. They just have to be ready to strike while the iron's hot. In the past the Orioles have moved at a snails pace when it came to make moves / trades. I'm hoping that had more to do with prior GMs and older ownership. 

The only catcher with as many at bats that has a higher OPS is Gary Sanchez, who OPS'd only .697 last season - though has hit very well in the past.  O's need to see what they have with Severino.  Tony's suggestion that he be the everyday catcher and not be platooned sounds like the right plan - at minimum till the all-star break, imo.        

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

With the Nats Severino walked in 8.9% of PAs.  With the O's it 10.0%. Small uptick.

With the Nats Severino had one brief, 33-game stint in AAA where he OPS'd .756.  His overall AAA OPS is .664.  His career minor league OPS is .642, and his career OPS as a pro, including this year, is .645.

I was talking about the stint in AAA which seemed like a decent comparison (sans the walks) because of the games played. He wasn't good when he was with the ML club, though. As far as walks, he walked 18 times in 213PA last year with the Nats (8.45%) and this season, he has 12 walks in 120PA (10%) which is an increase of 1.55%. A 10% walk rate up from 8.45% last season which is up from 6.27% in 2017 which is up from 5.99% in 2016 (also had five walks in 32PA in a brief stint with the Nats in 2016 good for 14.7%, but way too SSS to be relevant), so there is an overall increasing trend over the last few years with the walks. The .756 OPS he had last year at AAA was the highest of his career and now he's doing this with us.

Whether he can sustain it is anyone's guess, but his approach at the plate has been outstanding so far this season. Considering Tony mentioned that he has always needed a better approach, maybe he has had that reinforced under the new regime. If it's a fluke, we'll know soon enough.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Severino 

1.222 OPS vs lefties

760 OPS vs righties

Severino will probably start most games vs lefties.  Sisco will see his action vs righties.   Severino probably will play vs  running teams and as a defensive replacement late in games.  That s my guess.   Probably they will be the duo from now until Adley arrives in 2021.

You are consistent.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nobody wants to hear this, but a 30-game hot streak doesn't transform a waiver wire pickup into a basket of prospects.

Agreed.    Now if it’s a half-season hot streak we might be able to eke some value from him.  

For arguments’ sake, let’s say his OPS is still over .800 in mid-July and some team is willing to trade us a Lowther-level pitching prospect for him.   Do you pull the trigger on that, or do you wait out the year in the hopes that he keeps it up and you can get more for him later?

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep. I'm hoping they at least split right-handed pitching between Pedro and Sisco and allow Sisco to do some DHing, sending Mancini to 1B and Davis to the bench where he belongs until they can release him.

I'd like to see it too but I think it's a pipe dream.

We are crowded at DH as it is, and it will get worse when Trumbo's rehab is up.   Nunez is hitting, they seem determined to play Davis a lot vs righties since he is on the roaster.   And people talk about it all the time, but VERY FEW managers actually have 2 Cs on the roster and start one of them at DH.   Gary Sanchez has 54 starts at DH in his 4 year career (and it wouldn't surprise me if some of those came when there were 2 other Cs on the roster).

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.    Now if it’s a half-season hot streak we might be able to eke some value from him.  

For arguments’ sake, let’s say his OPS is still over .800 in mid-July and some team is willing to trade us a Lowther-level pitching prospect for him.   Do you pull the trigger on that, or do you wait out the year in the hopes that he keeps it up and you can get more for him later?

I guess I pull the trigger to keep up appearances as the board's leading Severino skeptic.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No chance.  I like Lowther, but I don't consider him a prospect with much trade value.  I'd just keep Severino for the rest of the season so we have a better idea of what he is, and then evaluate options.