O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I just read a Baltimore Sun article that said that it was Pedro's first career grand slam.

o

If that's the case, then I must have heard Gary Thorne incorrectly, or Thorne stated it incorrectly.

o

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

I just read a Baltimore Sun article that said that it was Pedro's first career grand slam.

7 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

If that's the case, then I must have heard Gary Thorne incorrectly, or Thorne stated it incorrectly.

o

o

It was indeed his 1st career grand-slam.

Thanks, Steve.

Pedro Severino (CAREER HOME RUN LOG): ))) https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/event_hr.fcgi?id=severpe01&t=b

o

• 3 weeks later...

o

This was Severino's first home run in 2 and-a-half-weeks (which was the same amount of time since Jonathan Villar's last home run.)

(vs. DODGERS, 9/11)

NUMBER 12

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

PEDRO SEVERINO DeLEON

o

• 2 weeks later...

Fangraphs has dubbed Pedro Severino as the most typical offensive player in baseball, based on 7 rate stats (MLB average first, Severino second):

BA: .256/.254

OBP: ..327/.324

SLG: .444/.428

SB/PA: 1.3/0.9

HR/PA: 3.7/3.9

BB%: 8.7/8.4

K%: 22.3/21.9

Pedro Severino is having an okay offensive season for the first time in his career, and he’s doing it by being near-average across the board. He’s even chipped in a few steals, making him more like the average player than most catchers. We could stop there and crown him Mister 2019, but the rest of the list is fun too.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/which-hitter-is-most-2019/

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs has dubbed Pedro Severino as the most typical offensive player in baseball, based on 7 rate stats (MLB average first, Severino second):

BA: .256/.254

OBP: ..327/.324

SLG: .444/.428

SB/PA: 1.3/0.9

HR/PA: 3.7/3.9

BB%: 8.7/8.4

K%: 22.3/21.9

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/which-hitter-is-most-2019/

It's quite astounding to have a guy with a career minor league OPS of .642 be crowned most average player in the majors.  Coming into the season I would have projected his OPS to be in the .600 range.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's quite astounding to have a guy with a career minor league OPS of .642 be crowned most average player in the majors.  Coming into the season I would have projected his OPS to be in the .600 range.

.653 OPS in the second half, so we’ll see what the future has in store.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But if something like that was going to happen, it's predictable it would be with a catcher, because catchers are often developed with an emphasis on defense, so they're more likely to get brought up to the majors before they're offensively ready.  They're more likely to be late bloomers than players at other positions.  .    

58 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

But if something like that was going to happen, it's predictable it would be with a catcher, because catchers are often developed with an emphasis on defense, so they're more likely to get brought up to the majors before they're offensively ready.  They're more likely to be late bloomers than players at other positions.  .    

I'm skeptical.  I don't know that catchers bloom any later than anyone else.  I suspect that the injury rate might lead to catchers washing out earlier, or at least failing to develop as hitters at higher rates than other positions.  Certainly there are a large number of very high performing catchers whose career ended in their early 30s.  Bench. Yogi caught 100 games in a season once after 32.  Carter's last 2-win season was at 32.  Piazza 34.  After 32 Dickey never caught more than 104 games in a season.  Mauer was done as a catcher at 30.  Simmons' last 2-win season was at 33.  Cochrane was done as a regular at 32.  Tenace at 34.  

The record for games caught is four or five seasons worth of games less than at other positions.

This would require a big study, but I think it's very unlikely that catchers peak later, or offensively bloom later, than others.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm skeptical.  I don't know that catchers bloom any later than anyone else.  I suspect that the injury rate might lead to catchers washing out earlier, or at least failing to develop as hitters at higher rates than other positions.  Certainly there are a large number of very high performing catchers whose career ended in their early 30s.  Bench. Yogi caught 100 games in a season once after 32.  Carter's last 2-win season was at 32.  Piazza 34.  After 32 Dickey never caught more than 104 games in a season.  Mauer was done as a catcher at 30.  Simmons' last 2-win season was at 33.  Cochrane was done as a regular at 32.  Tenace at 34.  

The record for games caught is four or five seasons worth of games less than at other positions.

This would require a big study, but I think it's very unlikely that catchers peak later, or offensively bloom later, than others.

I agree with you about the greats, but I'm referring to the average catchers - hence Severino reaching averagedom.  There's generally a dearth of good catchers, and I think that's the position where teams will take a big "hit" on offense to bring up a good defensive catcher who's not ready offensively.  Someone like James McCann is an example of that - finally becoming a better than average hitter at age 29.  He was always regarded as a good defensive catcher.       

We know that Rutschman is the O's catcher of the future.    Maybe as early as 2021.    So Sisco and Severino are probably competing for the backup catcher of the future.

Severino hit for a 812 OPs vs lefties this season in 80 starts a catcher.   His 2nd half offense was not that good.  Maybe playing around 50 games as a backup would allow him to be stronger in the second half.  

Both Severino and Sisco have to improve defensively to stick around.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We know that Rutschman is the O's catcher of the future.    Maybe as early as 2021.    So Sisco and Severino are probably competing for the backup catcher of the future.

Severino hit for a 812 OPs vs lefties this season in 80 starts a catcher.   His 2nd half offense was not that good.  Maybe playing around 50 games as a backup would allow him to be stronger in the second half.  

Both Severino and Sisco have to improve defensively to stick around.

What defensive wiz is pushing them out?

Just now, wildcard said:

Elias' team evaluates all catchers in baseball.

Sure?

But what evidence do you have that they need to improve their defense?

I think folks here simply prefer a defense first backup catcher.  Doesn't mean Elias is going to expend resources to procure one when he already has Severino and Sisco in the fold.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure?

But what evidence do you have that they need to improve their defense?

I think folks here simply prefer a defense first backup catcher.  Doesn't mean Elias is going to expend resources to procure one when he already has Severino and Sisco in the fold.

Evidence?   Severino is tie for the 3rd most pass balls in the MLB.  And that is in only 80 starts.     Sisco has throw out 17% of base stealers.  I'd say its save to  say the O's would like to see improvement in both catcher's defense.

Sisco has an option left for next year.  Elias would be looking for a waiver wire catcher or someone he can purchase cheaply.