Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's be real here, no one expected the Orioles to win today so if his bullpen management backfired...so what?  

That’s very rational of you, Moose. Almost Spock-like, if I do say so.

But I really, really, REALLY wanted to win that game once we had a chance to do so.    I would have been close to suicidal if we’d blown a four run lead to the Yankees in the 9th.    We know what that feels like, and it ain’t good.    I bet it would have been really deflating for the players, too.   

Heck, I’m busy constructing scenarios in my head about how maybe we won’t suck as much as I thought, based on one lousy late March win.    So let me have my fun!

• Upvote 1

Just the simple fact that Davis was sitting in the second game of the season was both astounding and refreshing at the same time. I'm sure Buck did play the matchups plenty, even with Davis, but even last year it sure felt like mo matter who they faced for the first few months Davis would start. That alone was more than you could have asked for two games in from your first year manager. 

1 minute ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Just the simple fact that Davis was sitting in the second game of the season was both astounding and refreshing at the same time. I'm sure Buck did play the matchups plenty, even with Davis, but even last year it sure felt like mo matter who they faced for the first few months Davis would start. That alone was more than you could have asked for two games in from your first year manager. 

In fairness, the situation is a little different.    At the start of last year, Davis was coming off a disappointing season.    Not so disappointing that you bench him in game 2.    He sat for the first time in Game 10 after going .100/.250/.200 in the first 9 games.   This year he’s coming off arguably the worst season anyone ever had.   And he was even more pathetic against lefties than his overall numbers (.144/.212/.280).   

Don’t get me wrong, I think Buck gave Davis way too much rope last year.    But he certainly had to give him some rope.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In fairness, the situation is a little different.    At the start of last year, Davis was coming off a disappointing season.    Not so disappointing that you bench him in game 2.    He sat for the first time in Game 10 after going .100/.250/.200 in the first 9 games.   This year he’s coming off arguably the worst season anyone ever had.   And he was even more pathetic against lefties than his overall numbers (.144/.212/.280).   

Don’t get me wrong, I think Buck gave Davis way too much rope last year.    But he certainly had to give him some rope.

Yes.  Buck was so caught up in "his guys" that he could never veer from that course.  Hyde, however, is not so and can always use the "analytics" as a reason to not play anyone.  Everyone is "equal" to him until proven otherwise and he plays who he thinks has the best chance to succeed.  Sound like good spin?  ?

• Upvote 1

Grading Hyde's decisions will be totally different than how we would have viewed calls made by Buck or managers of most other teams. At the beginning of the season last year, the message was compete for the AL East. It was also a veteran-heavy team. 

Criteria for evaluating Hyde's decisions need to ask the following questions:

• Did this decision help with the development of the players involved?
  • Do we know more about the players involved than we did before?
  • Did this decision put the players involved in the best position to succeed?
  • Did the decision put us in better position to win the game?

The last point is phrased the way it is, because of the roster he's dealing with. If the situation calls for pulling a pitcher or pinch hitting and he looks at his options - well, we've seen the AAAA squad he's working with. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not near that much rope. A month off would have been the call to try to keep your job. 

It's still ST in many ways, just keep rolling players in and out for the first week. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think I like a two inning opener that gives his all. You can work the opposition starting line-up to your advantage. If the starter gives you 5 or 6, you are in pretty good shape.