Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

Wasn’t watching the game, but quickly looked at gameday after receiving a text from my buddy that the O’s have no-no in the 7th.  Then saw that Hess had been pulled.  My first thought was “that’s modern baseball for you.”

My second thought was, why did my so-called buddy have to ruin the no hitter by bringing it to my attention?  Sheesh!

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ruzious said:

I think he was referring to pitchers who threw too many pitches in no-hitters.  And frankly, there... never have been guys like Nolan Ryan.  There should never be an "It worked for Nolan Ryan, so it should work for Hess" example.      

If you would like...I can list the 50 pitchers since 1999 who have pitched no hitters...with the single exception of Johan Santana who went to 134 pitches, I am not aware of any whose career was damaged.   

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree that pitch counts can often be arbitrary, if a guy is prepared for 120-140 pitches and their body can handle it, they should be allowed to go that long once they've built up to it. I also don't think everyone should be on the same pitch count, some dudes are fast twitch and they can't handle 60 pitches at any kind of effort level before they start to lose the ability to hold their mechanics. 

Pitch counts should be personal and change depending on the time of year, the pitcher, and amount of rest. I think that's what happened here, the competitor always wants to compete, it's the manager's job to save the player from himself.  

Exactly.  

9 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I've played a lot of Baseball. Watch how it plays out.

So, if the team is as bad as pretty much everyone in baseball has predicted them to be,  you're going to blame it on this,  rather than having the worst roster in all of MLB?  Quite the limb you're going out there on. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

I agree...and support the decision.   Still...suppose he had somehow gotten into the ninth at 82 pitches??  Take him out then? 

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.  You're trying to get someone to say "No, keep him in if that's the case!"

Which proves what?

Archived