Hunter Harvey 2019

wildcard

11 hours ago, Go_Os said:

I'm really pulling for this kid.  He's had such a tough start to his career.  I just hope he can eventually make it to the majors and be a dependable reliever for many years.

You are a good man, I’m only pulling for him because he’s in Baltimore’s system.

Got around to watching the game, Harvey held 95-96 thru his last pitch. Was throwing a mid-80s two-plane slider with a little more horizontal action than his Curveball, which was more around 80mph. The pitch wasn't particularly effective, too similar to the CB for my liking. Splitter had good action but he didn't command it well. Overall he had his best command I've seen this year, maybe fringe average. Curveball wasn't hit hard the entire outing and landed for strikes. He only buried it a couple times but it got GBs even when it ended up in the bottom of the zone rather than out of it. The fastball at the upper border of the zone is his best swing and miss weapon, but he didn't go to it but once or twice in this outing and as a result, he didn't get a bunch of swinging strikes. 

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Got around to watching the game, Harvey held 95-96 thru his last pitch. Was throwing a mid-80s two-plane slider with a little more horizontal action than his Curveball, which was more around 80mph. The pitch wasn't particularly effective, too similar to the CB for my liking. Splitter had good action but he didn't command it well. Overall he had his best command I've seen this year, maybe fringe average. Curveball wasn't hit hard the entire outing and landed for strikes. He only buried it a couple times but it got GBs even when it ended up in the bottom of the zone rather than out of it. The fastball at the upper border of the zone is his best swing and miss weapon, but he didn't go to it but once or twice in this outing and as a result, he didn't get a bunch of swinging strikes

Isn't this part of the new spin-rate, analytics-minded approach to pitching? As more and more hitters are looking to add launch angle to their swings, it leaves them more vulnerable to well-placed fastballs up in the zone? If Harvey can learn how to use this pitch effectively, it would seem he'd find some success. 

7 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Isn't this part of the new spin-rate, analytics-minded approach to pitching? As more and more hitters are looking to add launch angle to their swings, it leaves them more vulnerable to well-placed fastballs up in the zone? If Harvey can learn how to use this pitch effectively, it would seem he'd find some success. 

Some of that, some of the fact backspin fastballs just play better up because the rise optical illusion is more pronounced. 

Harvey is going to be a useful major league player if he stays healthy, I’m certain of that, the stuff is too good not to. The question is whether it’s starting or relieving. It’s important to remember that Harvey has a pitching age of like 21 at the most, he has very few reps and his mechanics changed after TJS, so even fewer with his current delivery. The splitter, he just started throwing in games this year. He needs a full, healthy season with lots of reps. 

Another note, after watching some other Altoona games, it’s possible that the stadium gun there is slow, everyone else’s velocity (besides Harvey) is either down or the gun is slow. So it’s possible it was more than 95-96 in the 6th, which would be extremely impressive.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Harvey got bombed today, 4 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s, 2 HR.    No consistency whatsoever from game to game with him.   

It might be that he should be a 2-3 inning guy.  He seems to fall apart the second time through in many of his starts. 

• Upvote 1

Harvey was spotted a 7-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning but lasted only 2.1 innings, allowing 4 hits (including 2 homers), 4 walks and 3 runs, striking out 2.    He threw 78 pitches in 2.1 innings.    

He’s been maddeningly inconsistent, but at least he’s already thrown more innings than he did in 2018, and more than in 2015-17 combined.    Just keep him healthy and let him learn on the job.   

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Harvey was spotted a 7-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning but lasted only 2.1 innings, allowing 4 hits (including 2 homers), 4 walks and 3 runs, striking out 2.    He threw 78 pitches in 2.1 innings.    

He’s been maddeningly inconsistent, but at least he’s already thrown more innings than he did in 2018, and more than in 2015-17 combined.    Just keep him healthy and let him learn on the job.   

What’s the velo been like?

54 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The box of chocolates pitcher went 7.1 innings 5h 2Bb 1er 5 k.   Let’s try again to get back to back good starts once again next time around.  It’s been good start bad start good start las couple times around.

I’m resolved to focus on Harvey staying healthy all year and pitching as many innings as is reasonable.    He’s not progressing as rapidly as I’d hoped, but I’ve decided my hopes were unreasonable.    

• Upvote 1