Second guessing Hyde

Philip

55 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And you think Hyde shares your view?

Also, it may not be “high leverage” for the Os season as a whole, but I’m sure he wants to set up Tate for success as much as possible. Entering an MLB game for the first time in a tie game, bottom 9 isn’t the most conducive to “just go out there and throw your game.”

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

And you think Hyde shares your view?

Do you think the Angel's would've used a position player if the roles were reversed? Actually I don't even have to ask because they used a starter in the 16th. There isn't a single contender that would use a position player to lock down a save, probably why it's uh, literally never happened before. So yeah I don't actually buy that the Orioles are anywhere near as concerned about winning as other teams in baseball. Hyde made a mistake, it happens. He has a hard job and it's his first year. He'll get better.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Got it. You think Evan, I give up runs in every outing, Phillips, and Dillon, I'm 25 and had to get demoted to the bullpen and AA and have never appeared in a ML game, Tate were better options.  Sure!  A total no brainer!

Seeing as how neither of them threw two innings worth of pitches the previous night....yes. It's not like Givens is 2016 Britton either. He's a mediocre reliever that leads the bullpen of a terrible team.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving DJ Stewart in after taking a ball of the head?  The next night going after Davis for “hotdogging” when mental errors have been happening all season. 

W/L was going going to be hilariously bad this year, we all knew that. Maybe, just maybe, Elias’ 15th choice for manager, isn’t the best.  

Hyde was just the guy that said yes, and probably would be the only guy to say that this upcoming offseason as well. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, LTO's said:

I mean they used Stevie Wilkerson in a save situation. Clearly they aren't exceptionally concerned with nailing down wins. I'd figure they wouldn't use their only sought after trade bait after he threw 30+ pitches the night before a day game. Instead they could've used the guy they brought up from the minors for precisely this scenario.

Wilkerson was the TENTH O's pitcher of the game and actually I thought it was a great move to follow Scott's wild heat with Wilkerson's half-as-fast curves. Little Stevie had already proven he can throw it over the plate.

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Wilkerson was the TENTH O's pitcher of the game and actually I thought it was a great move to follow Scott's wild heat with Wilkerson's half-as-fast curves. Little Stevie had already proven he can throw it over the plate.

It worked out, but Scott isn’t some kid anymore. He could’ve pitched more. The point is that he’s rode Givens hard all year and then pulls Scott after a tough 30 pitch inning. 

Theres a reason a position player hasn’t gotten a safe in 30 years. You can always use one of our future SP. It is the most high leverage of innings. Not like the future SP was anything above replacement. 

There’s smart phones and jets. We could’ve gotten a pitcher from the minors out to Anaheim. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It worked out, but Scott isn’t some kid anymore. He could’ve pitched more. The point is that he’s rode Givens hard all year and then pulls Scott after a tough 30 pitch inning. 

Theres a reason a position player hasn’t gotten a safe in 30 years. You can always use one of our future SP. It is the most high leverage of innings. Not like the future SP was anything above replacement. 

There’s smart phones and jets. We could’ve gotten a pitcher from the minors out to Anaheim. 

Who was just as likely to give up a Weaver Special. It worked like that unforgettable K of Ortiz by the Big Fellah back in 2011. Hey Relax 8703, sit back and savor one of the highlights of the season!

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You are really advocating leaving in a pitcher that had just blown a 3 run lead by walking 3 straight guys and then giving up a 2-run double?  IMO Hyde couldn't pull Scott fast enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

You are really advocating leaving in a pitcher that had just blown a 3 run lead by walking 3 straight guys and then giving up a 2-run double?  IMO Hyde couldn't pull Scott fast enough.

Usually the problem that I personally have with the manager is leaving a guy in too long. Three straight walks is too long…

Just now, Philip said:

Usually the problem that I personally have with the manager is leaving a guy in too long. Three straight walks is too long…

I'm not going to try and convince you I was watching the game but had enough time elapsed that Hyde could get someone else up and warmed up?  Can't be putting someone in that isn't warmed up right?

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not going to try and convince you I was watching the game but had enough time elapsed that Hyde could get someone else up and warmed up?  Can't be putting someone in that isn't warmed up right?

Wait! Are you saying context matters? 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you’re referring to last night,  Means went south in a hurry, and that can’t be blamed on Hyde at all.

But he seems to leave  his starters in too long. At the beginning of the year I was really happy that he was being pretty strict with them, and after a certain number of innings or pitches, they came out and that was that. 

Now he doesn’t seem as eager to do that.