MASN dispute update

JohnD

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can just declare victory and go have a beer with your fellow Yale alumni, I've lost all the drive to continue the conversation.  Probably because I settled for Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech is a good school.  I don't think you should consider settling.  I hired someone form Virginia Tech a while back.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Virginia Tech is a good school.  I don't think you should consider settling.  I hired someone form Virginia Tech a while back.  

And yet I have any number of co-workers and peers who are every bit as smart as me, or smarter, and often more driven and successful who went to West Virginia Tech, or Capital College, or got their degree from some unknown school taking online night classes while working as an enlisted Marine, or don't even have a degree at all.  Weird, since selection of college matters so much.

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And yet I have any number of co-workers and peers who are every bit as smart as me, or smarter, and often more driven and successful who went to West Virginia Tech, or Capital College, or got their degree from some unknown school taking online night classes while working as an enlisted Marine, or don't even have a degree at all.  Weird, since selection of college matters so much.

A degree is required for every job I have worked.   Never heard of the colleges you mentioned.   

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I have no idea why I'm joining this discussion, but the above post says more about you, @atomic, than it does about @DrungoHazewood, and not in a good way.

Why I don't know every college in the United States.  I can make evaluations of colleges I don't  know anything about. I have hired many people over the years and if I see on their resume a University I don't know I would look it up.  People do care.  I am not sure why people think they don't.  Really it is part of the pre-interview process that you weed people out based on their resumes.  

If I decided to interview them it wouldn't be a basis for hiring them but it would be a basis whether to bring them in. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

LOL.  I only know about law schools as I was getting ready to apply when my wife became pregnant and she didn't want me to spend that much time away. I was going to apply to George Washington and Georgetown as they have night programs and are higher tier law schools.   

Nice thing about law schools is they only seem to care about your undergraduate GPA and your LSAT test scores.  

Perhaps I will go when I am in my 60's. 

BTW Edward Bennett Williams was considered a great lawyer.  Went top law school and was in high profile cases and started a prestigious law firm that even had a future Supreme Court Justice working for them 

You can actually start law school at UB and then transfer into Georgetown’s night program. That’s the pro move. 

• Upvote 1

Look, I am not going to pretend that University of Baltimore Law School is just as good as Harvard or that the average abilities of their students is the same.     That would be silly.    What I am going to say is that there’s no reason that a really top notch lawyer couldn’t emerge from a school like that.    Heck, Chief Justice Warren Burger graduated from the St. Paul College of Law.

The other point, and I keep coming back to it, is that it doesn’t take a legal genius to spot the contractual issues we’ve been discussing here.    

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look, I am not going to pretend that University of Baltimore Law School is just as good as Harvard or that the average abilities of their students is the same.     That would be silly.    What I am going to say is that there’s no reason that a really top notch lawyer couldn’t emerge from a school like that.    Heck, Chief Justice Warren Burger graduated from the St. Paul College of Law.

The other point, and I keep coming back to it, is that it doesn’t take a legal genius to spot the contractual issues we’ve been discussing here.    

You still have to take the bar exam and pass it.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not a lawyer, but.................................. I agree.

What, you all thought I was going to say I played one on TV?! Don't be ridiculous... I have played one on TV, but that is not relevant. Okay, you caught me... I did not play one on TV, it was in my room alone watching The People's Court. But I digress... 

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

What, you all thought I was going to say I played one on TV?! Don't be ridiculous... I have played one on TV, but that is not relevant. Okay, you caught me... I did not play one on TV, it was in my room alone watching The People's Court. But I digress... 

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S88qFEDgXH8

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

BTW Edward Bennett Williams was considered a great lawyer.  Went top law school and was in high profile cases and started a prestigious law firm that even had a future Supreme Court Justice working for them 

For what it’s worth, his firm, Williams & Connolly, represents MLB in the MASN court proceedings in NY.    One of many high powered firms involved in the case.