Keegan Akin 2019

ChuckS

I was at the game last night, and Akin did consistently get behind batters. The walks and hit batters kept him in trouble even though Gwinnett made very little hard contact. On the plus side, he was able to dial up a strikeout when he needed it with regularity, both with fastballs and offspeed stuff that worked well off his fastball. A very high percentage of his misses were way high - shoulder to eye level and not close to the zone. I assume the scouting report was to use high heat, but for the most part the pitches weren't close enough to be tempting.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain this one to me.

Steve Melewski tweeted out that Akin was used in relief today to help conserve his inning total for the year.   He threw 137.2  last year.

Going into today, Keegan was at 58 innings so far in 2019 (more than anyone else on the Tides).   The AAA season is close to halfway over (140 game season, Tides have played 63 games) .......... so wouldn't you project Akin to finish close to his exact same 2018 total at this pace?

Something seems off.

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Can someone explain this one to me.

Steve Melewski tweeted out that Akin was used in relief today to help conserve his inning total for the year.   He threw 137.2  last year.

Going into today, Keegan was at 58 innings so far in 2019 (more than anyone else on the Tides).   The AAA season is close to halfway over (140 game season, Tides have played 63 games) .......... so wouldn't you project Akin to finish close to his exact same 2018 total at this pace?

Something seems off.

Planning on some MLB innings?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Akin needs to be added at the end of this season anyway, there is some chaff on the 40-man roster that can go.

While I'm not disputing that I still wouldn't do it at this point in the season.  If you want to call him up and keep him up in September that is one thing but I don't want to burn a spot on the 40 man and an option because of a blister.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I'm not disputing that I still wouldn't do it at this point in the season.  If you want to call him up and keep him up in September that is one thing but I don't want to burn a spot on the 40 man and an option because of a blister.

I guess I understand the option thing, although he would be 27 by the time he ran out of options and wouldn't be worth much if he was still riding the Norfolk Express at that point.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I guess I understand the option thing, although he would be 27 by the time he ran out of options and wouldn't be worth much if he was still riding the Norfolk Express at that point.

If it was for something more serious than a blister in a 110 loss season I'd consider it.