It's Time - Mountcastle

weams

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you leave someone at Norfolk all season if they were crushing it?

One reason would be if all the hitters on the ML roster were crushing it. That's not the case for us (Davis), but just saying. 

In the meantime, I'm having a pretty good time watching Mancini and Nunez rake. I love that people don't view Nunez as a prospect or buy into him at all despite the fact that he's only 25 (!!) and has had .800-.837 seasons in AAA the past couple years. He's one of the better pure DHs in the game right now. 

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm fine with promoting him and letting him compete with Chris Davis for a starting spot.   ;)

If his arm isn't strong enough for third base I doubt he could be a starting pitcher in the majors.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are just afraid if they start calling up the kids you might have to start watching these games.  ?

Haha, I mean I watch the games and I've actually been enjoying them as terrible as they are.  I just don't see a need for Mountcastle at the moment.

While Elias is never going to say this, Mountcastle is the kind of guy you try to keep as cheap and controllable as possible. That means you don't bring him up and start the clock in a lost year. Mountcastle is easily one of the best 25 players players in the organization right now, but it won't hurt to see him get a full AAA season under his belt this year. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

While Elias is never going to say this, Mountcastle is the kind of guy you try to keep as cheap and controllable as possible. That means you don't bring him up and start the clock in a lost year. Mountcastle is easily one of the best 25 players players in the organization right now, but it won't hurt to see him get a full AAA season under his belt this year. 

And isn't the easiest way to do that signing them to a long term deal?

Or are the O's going to be behind on yet another trend?

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

One reason would be if all the hitters on the ML roster were crushing it. That's not the case for us (Davis), but just saying. 

In the meantime, I'm having a pretty good time watching Mancini and Nunez rake. I love that people don't view Nunez as a prospect or buy into him at all despite the fact that he's only 25 (!!) and has had .800-.837 seasons in AAA the past couple years. He's one of the better pure DHs in the game right now. 

Just as a reminder, he was one of the two players on the current 25-man roster that I said could still be around when the Orioles are hopefully competing in 2022. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And isn't the easiest way to do that signing them to a long term deal?

Or are the O's going to be behind on yet another trend?

Sure, they could very well do that, but that's not going to happen when he's in the minor leagues.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Mountcastle played 1B, 3B , and DH in our spring training games. 

And was awful everywhere. Unless you’re going to DH him, he doesn’t have a position where he can be expected to be above average.

And Nunez is holding his own with the bat. Doesn’t make sense to DFA him to make room for Mountcastle, and there’s no other logical choices for someone to Designate or demote.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right so call him up and extend him.

Unless they think he needs work at first, after all it's incredibly hard.

As much as I like Mountcastle, I'm not buying out any free agency years until he has a year or two of success. Not sure what your hurry is. Let's also not forget that while no one likes to lose, getting back to back number one overall picks is a not  bad way to get back to sustained winning if the guys selected are the right guys. 

I'd be honestly shocked if Mountcastle comes up this year before September 1st.

Just now, Philip said:

And was awful everywhere. Unless you’re going to DH him, he doesn’t have a position where he can be expected to be above average.

And Nunez is holding his own with the bat. Doesn’t make sense to DFA him to make room for Mountcastle, and there’s no other logical choices for someone to Designate or demote.

Nunez is not getting DFA'd for anyone. He has value on the trade market before they would just DFA him.

Archived