O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, MurphDogg said:

With the qualifying offer deadline passed, we now know that there will be no picks between the end of the first round and the beginning of Competitive Balance Round A.

The only way there could have been compensation picks between the end of Round 1 and the compensation round is if (a) the team that made the qualifying offer is a revenue sharing recipient AND (b) the player in question declined the offer and signed for more than $50 million. The only revenue sharing recipient team to extend a qualifying offer this year was the Twins to Jake Odorizzi, and he accepted.

The 8 players that received qualifying offers and declined them were all on teams that are not revenue sharing recipients, and thus their compensation picks (assuming the player is signed prior to the draft) will be after Competitive Balance Round B (between rounds 2 and 3).

https://www.mlb.com/draft/2020/order

2 of the post competitive balance picks have signed.  Since the new team forfeits the 2nd pick and old team gets comp pick, we should be locked into 2, 31, 40, 76, 106, 136...right?

And just for my own knowledge.  Competitive balance picks can be traded, however comp picks cannot, correct?

With the 31st pick and Detroit CompB being 68, will we likely have the highest draft budget?  Any sites that project these things?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Now that the compensatory picks have finally been established, I've updated the OP with the following:

Huge opportunity again this year to keep building that pipeline, baby. I will he following amateur ball closer than ever this year, as I think this draft is the most crucial of our rebuild.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent year to have three top 40 picks:

“The prevailing industry opinion is that the 2020 draft is deep, and while I don’t think that’s true of the very top tier of players at this moment, I agree that the totality of the group is very strong. The tier of talent that often wears thin toward the back of the first round (typically the intersection of the 45 FV and 40+ FV tiers here at FanGraphs) is more robust than usual, and stretches well into the second round of this year’s draft. “

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/updating-the-2020-2021-and-2022-draft-rankings/

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, Frobby said:

This is an excellent year to have three top 40 picks:

“The prevailing industry opinion is that the 2020 draft is deep, and while I don’t think that’s true of the very top tier of players at this moment, I agree that the totality of the group is very strong. The tier of talent that often wears thin toward the back of the first round (typically the intersection of the 45 FV and 40+ FV tiers here at FanGraphs) is more robust than usual, and stretches well into the second round of this year’s draft. “

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/updating-the-2020-2021-and-2022-draft-rankings/

Yeah... Having 4 of the top 76 picks is a good thing, more so this year than others.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/57221/notes-from-the-field-early-candidates-for-the-first-overall-pick/

BP dropped a few sentences on The Usual Suspects, as well as a tidbit as we head towards NCAA Friday Night #2 about a Golden Gopher who ticked up to the high 90's last weekend.

My recollection of Grayson's draft year is he was a late riser driven by unveiling new velocity that spring.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/57221/notes-from-the-field-early-candidates-for-the-first-overall-pick/

BP dropped a few sentences on The Usual Suspects, as well as a tidbit as we head towards NCAA Friday Night #2 about a Golden Gopher who ticked up to the high 90's last weekend.

My recollection of Grayson's draft year is he was a late riser driven by unveiling new velocity that spring.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Maryland hosts Minnesota May 14-16 (the last series of the year), if Meyer continues trending up he could be a rare college player that local O's fans could actually get to see live with minimal effort. Fangraphs currently has him at #39 in their draft rankings.

• Upvote 1