O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

I don’t think Elias is picking these particular players to save money.  I think he is legitimately just picking the best player on their board when it’s their turn to pick.  That’s the whole point of having a draft board and ranking players.  Obviously, they take asking price into account when making decisions, but the Orioles are now a very analytical team, so value is heavily factored into their decisions.  I am going to choose to trust the process rather than complain because they may not pick players that I prefer.  I’m sure there is a plan and they aren’t just making these picks blindly.  I will admit that I am surprised we haven’t seen a pitcher yet through the first 4 picks though.

I get it, Elias/Sig are looking at exit velocity and evidence of 2020 improvement in the few games played.  But is it wise to look at only those 2 things?  Proprietary analytics are great, but it seems like we've passed on some pretty good players zeroing in on a pretty narrow field.  I don't know... hope it works.

Just now, Number5 said:

I get it, Elias/Sig are looking at exit velocity and evidence of 2020 improvement in the few games played.  But is it wise to look at only those 2 things?  Proprietary analytics are great, but it seems like we've passed on some pretty good players zeroing in on a pretty narrow field.  I don't know... hope it works.

It will make a great chapter in the new book.