Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Am I the only person that doesn't see this as a huge problem?  Seventy percent of the strikeouts would still be outs, mostly routine ones.  I'd rather see a K than a weak groundball to second.

Deaden the rabbit ball.  Once more of these fly balls start dying on the warning track hitters will adjust their approach.

I would prefer to see a weak ground ball to second over a strike out.  Well at least if it is weak enough not to generate a double play.  Some of those weak ground balls get misplayed and you get on base. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:04 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Am I the only person that doesn't see this as a huge problem?  Seventy percent of the strikeouts would still be outs, mostly routine ones.  I'd rather see a K than a weak groundball to second.

Deaden the rabbit ball.  Once more of these fly balls start dying on the warning track hitters will adjust their approach.

That will take away half the posts in the game day thread, where people love to complain about Ks. :) :) :)

On 9/28/2019 at 6:32 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Penalize teams for strikeouts. For every three strikeouts a team has they lose a run. Will it happen? Nah. Just a thought.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:04 AM, Can_of_corn said:

You'd have hitters raised on modern baseball suddenly being asked to play deadball-lite baseball.  Because the current rate of Ks under mdbdotcom's proposal would result in about 1.5 runs per game.  So a lot of desperate attempts to not strike out by players who currently average 120 strikeouts a season.  It would be chaos.

Plus the bookkeeping would be nonsense.  Mancini has scored three runs today... oh wait, two of those were removed because his teammates struck out six times, so he really didn't score any.  But Hanser Alberto keeps his run scored because the world is inexplicable.

And I'm not convinced that deadening the ball will really change a whole lot.  The math would have to work out that contact was better than one homer a game and nine strikeouts. I don't know that's true.  Teams started this flyball/K trend quite a while ago, and it was going along pretty well in 2014 when homers were off, what, 30% from today?  Really deadening the ball might.  But we might not like the transition where we're scoring three runs a game.

52 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And I'm not convinced that deadening the ball will really change a whole lot.  The math would have to work out that contact was better than one homer a game and nine strikeouts. I don't know that's true.  Teams started this flyball/K trend quite a while ago, and it was going along pretty well in 2014 when homers were off, what, 30% from today?  Really deadening the ball might.  But we might not like the transition where we're scoring three runs a game.

Wouldn't have to change a lot.  We don't need everybody suddenly trying to spray linedrives all over the field.  We could still have power hitters swinging for the fences.  The change would have an impact on the guys that can crank 20-25 in today's game.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You'd have hitters raised on modern baseball suddenly being asked to play deadball-lite baseball.  Because the current rate of Ks under mdbdotcom's proposal would result in about 1.5 runs per game.  So a lot of desperate attempts to not strike out by players who currently average 120 strikeouts a season.  It would be chaos.

Plus the bookkeeping would be nonsense.  Mancini has scored three runs today... oh wait, two of those were removed because his teammates struck out six times, so he really didn't score any.  But Hanser Alberto keeps his run scored because the world is inexplicable.

I knew it was a good idea!

Soto's oppo taco off Cole earned notice as a rare accomplishment against a high fastball that good.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/juan-soto-does-the-impossible/

Only 3-of-30000 HR's Statcast has tracked the last 5 years matched it, and Orioles were involved in both of the others - Mike Wright the bad way, and Mancini the good way.  I saw Mancini's as it happened and remember thinking it was a case of solid contact with a power pitch providing much of the oomph, but wouldn't have guessed it was that unusual.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • weams unlocked this topic
17 minutes ago, weams said:

There are myriad options for GM Mike Elias and the rest of the front office to take with Mancini. There are plausible cases for the organization to lock him up long-term or to move him this offseason. Alternatively, there needn’t be a mandate on the organization’s part to commit to anything just yet. Mancini, 28 in March, is entering his first year of arbitration and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2022. Projected for a reasonable $5.7MM salary, the Orioles could simply elect to tender Mancini a contract and plug him back into the middle of the lineup next season.

There are reasons why it makes some sense to be decisive now, though. Last year, Mancini slashed .291/.364/.535 with 35 home runs. He was easily the Orioles’ best hitter, and he finished tied for 30th among qualifiers with a 132 wRC+. That outpaced the fine but unexciting work Mancini did at the plate over his first two-plus MLB seasons. He entered 2019 with a career .268/.319/.458 slash, hardly remarkable for a bat-first player.

If the Orioles’ front office expects Mancini to regress towards his career norms, the time could be right to move him. The free agent market for first basemen isn’t particularly robust, and it stands to reason Mancini will never have more trade value than he does right now. Even if he continues to hit well next season, he’ll inch closer to free agency. His high home run and RBI totals figure to run up a pricey arbitration tag in the coming years, too. With the Orioles almost sure to be noncompetitive again in 2020, perhaps Mancini’s peak years ought be spent outside of Baltimore.

• Upvote 1