2019 Orioles Draft Tracker

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s an idea, take the money we didn’t spend in last year’s intl signing period, combined with what we don’t spend in this year’s signing period, and just spent the max 105% on this draft. 

Possibly come away with Watson, Dashbach, Roth, Pederson, and Bobby Z. 

I’ll buy the reasons the team gives for why we didn’t sign top guys in the international market this year or spend all of our money. I understand, but then use that money on the only other way to acquire amateur talent. The draft. 

Our draft people have been doing this longer than Koby Perez has had the job. We don’t need upgraded facilities. We don’t need time to build relationships. It’s not a process that we’ve been out of for a decade. Just cold hard cash. 

105% baby

Even if we go to 105%, if Watson gets slot then we only have just over 1M left to spend. I think it would be crazy to expect Watson plus all 4. It's sounding like we should be thrilled if we get any of them.

The draft tracker is such a great tool. Just going back and looking at the guys we’ve given big bonuses to since 09’, and only Davies has had any type of MLB playing time. 575k. 

I also have a new perspective on the Hobgood draft. Everyone is talking about how the new trend might be to go cheap in Rd 1 and then use the money on overslots. Well we might have been ahead of our time on that one, because we gave two HS kids 900K+ bonuses after Rd 11. Then another two kids 250K bonuses. This was 2009. 

Yeah it sucks that Hobgood was a bust, but so were,

11 - Ohlman 995k

18 - Martin 250k

22 - Coffey 990k

30 - Webb 250k

Just quick and dirty math, I got us spending 8+ million that draft. That was 10 years ago. Far from “going cheap”. We tried the strategy that everyone is in love with now, the players just didn’t turn out. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The draft tracker is such a great tool. Just going back and looking at the guys we’ve given big bonuses to since 09’, and only Davies has had any type of MLB playing time. 575k. 

I also have a new perspective on the Hobgood draft. Everyone is talking about how the new trend might be to go cheap in Rd 1 and then use the money on overslots. Well we might have been ahead of our time on that one, because we gave two HS kids 900K+ bonuses after Rd 11. Then another two kids 250K bonuses. This was 2009. 

Yeah it sucks that Hobgood was a bust, but so were,

11 - Ohlman 995k

18 - Martin 250k

22 - Coffey 990k

30 - Webb 250k

Just quick and dirty math, I got us spending 8+ million that draft. That was 10 years ago. Far from “going cheap”. We tried the strategy that everyone is in love with now, the players just didn’t turn out. 

It was 8M before Givens decided to sign. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You guys think we're tapped out or is there another signing or two before the deadline?

340k under and 3 college juniors.  I'm hopeful 1-3 of them sign.  125k in that range for slot.  Add 113k to hit 238k for each.  Not terrible to get all 3 :) Maybe go a bit over.  Seems more and more like no HSers.  Which was basically what Luke said from the start.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jerios55 said:

340k under and 3 college juniors.  I'm hopeful 1-3 of them sign.  125k in that range for slot.  Add 113k to hit 238k for each.  Not terrible to get all 3 :) Maybe go a bit over.  Seems more and more like no HSers.  Which was basically what Luke said from the start.

I think Watson for slot 100% is because O’s realize no high schoolers will sign, otherwise they would have pushed harder in Watson negotiations.  Think its also a way to put pressure on the remaining College folks - tells them exactly how much is left in the pot with a couple of weeks left, take it leave it. Smart strategy in my opinion.

So, all of our top 10 signed, only rounds 11, 13 and 29 are unsigned out of the first 33 rounds.    To me, that’s a great result and anything we pick up from here is gravy, though I’d certainly be pleased about anyone else we sign.   

• Upvote 2