2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

18 minutes ago, odogs101 said:

I don't really understand this. Cole's signing was under the previous CBA. Under the draft slotting system, nobody has signed for more than Casey Mize's $7.5 Million last year. Slot on 1-1 is up about $320K since last year, but $8M should not be in play, Adley doesn't have any leverage.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't really understand this. Cole's signing was under the previous CBA. Under the draft slotting system, nobody has signed for more than Casey Mize's $7.5 Million last year. Slot on 1-1 is up about $320K since last year, but $8M should not be in play, Adley doesn't have any leverage.

His leverage is that it would be a public relations disaster for the worst team in baseball who desperately need talent to not sign him.  Elias is paying him what he deserves as a clear 1:1 in the draft.  You don't screw that up by dragging this thing out.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I have Adley at 8.2. That is my guess. 

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As soon as Witt signed for a shade under 7.8M you had to know that would be the minimum for Rutschman and even that would be an insult.  8M or less is a good deal.  I'll be surprised if it's over 8.2M.

I agree that he will get more than Witt. I was surprised Witt signed for that much, but at least he had college as leverage. Ultimately it isn't a big deal and I am all for players getting as much as they can as the draft system is punitive to players and artificially holds down signing bonuses, although that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the failure to pay minor leaguers a living wage. 

I just find it strange that normal rules of negotiation don't apply.

In that above tweet is says Gunnar at 2.3 (a little more than 500k over).  I think we had about 700k to play with, so an 8.2 would leave about 400k to go after a few other guys.  (If my memory is correct).

edit: I see it's 25k, not 200k...so pay no attention to my memory....

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As soon as Witt signed for a shade under 7.8M you had to know that would be the minimum for Rutschman and even that would be an insult.  8M or less is a good deal.  I'll be surprised if it's over 8.2M.

So long as we’ve managed to sign both Rutschman and Henderson, I really don’t care what they’ve paid Rutschman.    By several accounts, he was the clearest no. 1 overall pick since Harper.    He was slotted at $8.4 mm.    So if he breaks Cole’s record of $8 mm, fine with me.    Just let him play like he deserved it!

If getting Rutschman done somehow means we lose Watson, I’ll live with that.    I wasn’t all that enthusiastic about the Watson pick anyway.   Hopefully we do sign him, but if we don’t, I won’t lose sleep over it.   

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

An insult?

Not hardly.  Witt was a HS shortstop, AR is a college Junior catcher.

Different circumstances.

Not like this would be the first time #1 signed for less than #2.