Who are the likely candidates for Aberdeen’s rotation?

Frobby

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stauffer already earned a promotion to Delmarva. Who takes his spot in the Aberdeen rotation?  Hammer?

Could be.   Houston Roth started yesterday, but only for 2 innings, and then Hammer pitched relief later in the game.    

On 7/19/2019 at 5:51 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Stauffer already earned a promotion to Delmarva. Who takes his spot in the Aberdeen rotation?  Hammer?

On 7/19/2019 at 2:44 PM, Frobby said:

Could be.   Houston Roth started yesterday, but only for 2 innings, and then Hammer pitched relief later in the game.    

Looks like Hanmer and Roth are being paired up.    Today Hammer started and pitched 3 scoreless, then Roth followed and pitched 3.1 scoreless.    They’ve pitched the same day each time, Hammer pitching a total of 7 scoreless innings and Roth 7.1 scoreless innings.    Nice.   

• Upvote 1

With the Orioles extreme focus on college players this year, the Ironbirds SHOULD be dominating the NY-Penn League. The Ironbirds have the oldest average age in the league, their hitters average age is 22.0 while the league average is 20.9. They have the fifth oldest pitching staff out of 14 teams.

Welk and Rizer have been pleasant surprises, hopefully Stowers, Ortiz and Handley can pick things up over the rest of the season. Handley had a really good game last night, had a couple extended at-bats where he fouled off a bunch of pitches before getting a hit or a walk and he threw a runner out trying to steal. Ortiz has probably been the biggest disappointment as he signed quickly and has the third most plate appearances but has a .542 OPS.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

With the Orioles extreme focus on college players this year, the Ironbirds SHOULD be dominating the NY-Penn League. The Ironbirds have the oldest average age in the league, their hitters average age is 22.0 while the league average is 20.9. They have the fifth oldest pitching staff out of 14 teams.

Not to mention the GCL, where they are even older relative to the league average.   My favorite stat is that the average age of our GCL pitchers (22.0) is older than our Aberdeen pitchers (21.7), and not far behind our Delmarva staff (22.6).     

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I remember the thinking being that if a guy was 22 and in Delmarva, that there was an extremely small chance of them making the MLB. 

Can the use of analytics change that?

I think you're slightly off in your characterization. If a guy is sitting in Low A ball at that age for a while, I think the odds are lower. However, I'd wager that many recently drafted prospects go through Low A. If they're not promoted, say at the beginning of or early next year, it doesn't really bode well. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re getting lots of good results from our two most recent drafts. I remember the thinking being that if a guy was 22 and in Delmarva, that there was an extremely small chance of them making the MLB. 

Can the use of analytics change that?

I think it depends a bit on whether they were drafted out of high school or college, or are international players.   If you are drafted at 21 years old, you could be assigned to Delmarva the next year and that’s not necessarily a black mark.    But if you were drafted at 18 and it’s taken 4 years and you’re still not out of Delmarva, it’s unlikely you’re a prospect.    Same with the international guys.    Of course, sometimes injuries play a role.

The rotation to date:

Conroy 8 G, 41.0 IP, 2.41 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 8.8 K/9

Magee 7 G, 28.2 IP, 3.77 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 8.5 K/9

Litscher 7 G, 36.1 IP, 2.23 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 10.7 K/9

Stauffer* 5 G, 25.1 IP, 1.07 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, 10.3 K/9

Rodriguez 8 G, 43.0 IP, 1.67 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 10.5 K/9

* Stauffer was promoted to Delmarva.   Dan Hammer and Houston Roth are alternating piggyback starts in his place.   In 3 games, they have combined for 14.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 11.9 K/9.    

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

The rotation to date:

Conroy 8 G, 41.0 IP, 2.41 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 8.8 K/9

Magee 7 G, 28.2 IP, 3.77 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 8.5 K/9

Litscher 7 G, 36.1 IP, 2.23 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 10.7 K/9

Stauffer* 5 G, 25.1 IP, 1.07 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, 10.3 K/9

Rodriguez 8 G, 43.0 IP, 1.67 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 10.5 K/9

* Stauffer was promoted to Delmarva.   Dan Hammer and Houston Roth are alternating piggyback starts in his place.   In 3 games, they have combined for 14.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 11.9 K/9.    

Litscher has also been promoted

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

With Litscher's promotion, hopefully Hammer and Roth will both be in the rotation. Both looked good the other night.

I am not sure how heavy a workload they will get on top of the college innings they threw, though neither had a terribly heavy workload at the collegiate level (66 innings for Hammer, 42 for Roth).

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am not sure how heavy a workload they will get on top of the college innings they threw, though neither had a terribly heavy workload at the collegiate level (66 innings for Hammer, 42 for Roth).

I guess the other option is one of the overqualified college pitchers in the GCL.