Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.  I mean I think the Orioles got better in marketing during the recent playoff seasons but they seem even better at it now.  I believe that you're correct that Elias probably brought in social media savvy people but the fact that he's very transparent and accessible is part of it, too.  The Walk With Elias t-shirt coming up is genius.

I still don’t get that t shirt.

They really are.  It seems that since Elias & Co has come aboard that they have gotten a lot better at marketing and promotions.  I am not sure how much he has to do with that but I'd imagine he's got some standards and ideas.

Not sure who it is for the Orioles proper but for MASN it's Olivia Witherite. She just got promoted and she's a social media force. Next level work this year. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I still don’t get that t shirt.

1. There's a wrestler in WWE called Elias. His catch phrase is Walk With Elias. He carries a guitar.

2. The Orioles employ a Mike Elias.

3. The Orioles are having a WWE night at the Yard.

4. They've created a Tshirt for said night featuring both Eliases as a gag.

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

1. There's a wrestler in WWE called Elias. His catch phrase is Walk With Elias. He carries a guitar.

2. The Orioles employ a Mike Elias.

3. The Orioles are having a WWE night at the Yard.

4. They've created a Tshirt for said night featuring both Eliases as a gag.

Thanks for explaining it.  Do wrestling fans like baseball?

1 hour ago, weams said:

Someone is doing a bang up job promoting this. 

Yes, but I won’t get overly excited until we see actual production from players we signed.    I’m glad they are raising their profile, though.    

They really are.  It seems that since Elias & Co has come aboard that they have gotten a lot better at marketing and promotions.  I am not sure how much he has to do with that but I'd imagine he's got some standards and ideas.

I cannot agree more.  And really, this was one of my most significant criticisms of Dan, and of Andy Macphail...i.e. they had very little, if any, skill for marketing a team that is rebuilding.    Beginning with just the perfunctory, lack of communication styles for both of our previous GMs- call it old school or whatever, it was definitely old fashioned...Mike Elias is the absolute opposite of them from a communications and marketing philosophy standpoint. 

On 5/29/2019 at 4:28 PM, Frobby said:

So, I’ve been trying to study last year’s international market to understand what we might hope for in terms of Orioles signings in the upcoming period.    As we know, most of the major signings will be announced by teams on or very shortly after July 2.    There may be some significant (in terms of dollars) signings after that, but those will mostly be one-off situations where a previously ineligible player suddenly becomes available.

I’ve been trying to get a sense of how teams allocated their money last year.   From what I could readily find, it appears that by a few days after July 2, about 125 

signings of $300 k and up were announced, broken down as follows:

$3 mm+: 1

$2.5-2.99 mm: 4

$2-2.49 mm: 2

$1.5-1.99 mm: 5

$1-1.49 mm: 9

$0.75-0.99 mm: 6

$0.50-0.74 mm: 20

$0.30-0.49 mm: 73

Unknown: 5

Source:   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/july-2-international-prospects-signing-tracker-c283495622.html

Chances are very good that we won’t have signed any of the 20ish players who will probably get $1 mm+ bonuses.    Those guys were probably informally committed before Elias and Perez arrived.

I think it’s also questionable whether we can grab anyone deserving of a $500k+ bonus, for the same reasons.    If we were able to get one, I’d consider that a major coup for the new brass.

I’m hoping, however, that we can score a couple in the $300-499 k category.    Two of those  would be a nice score, considering that we started behind the 8-ball.    

Looks like we scored three in the $400k+ category.    I consider that a reasonable catch considering when we got started.    I’m not thrilled beyond belief, but I’m satisfied.     It’s good progress and I think next year’s class will continue to show improvement.   

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like we scored three in the $400k+ category.    I consider that a reasonable catch considering when we got started.    I’m not thrilled beyond belief, but I’m satisfied.     It’s good progress and I think next year’s class will continue to show improvement.   

So you are not thrilled with today?  I’m thrilled.

tough crowd.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 11:42 PM, RVAOsFan said:

I didn't see any average offspeed pitches in the video I saw, but the potential is there. His arm is very late and he could add a good deal of lower body strength. If you fix the mechanics and he fills out a little, there's no reason this guy isn't sitting mid to upper 90s. It's crazy he t97 with those mechanics. It's a loose, live arm. 

• Upvote 1