Straily hasn't pitched in 10 days

interloper

Plot twist: We've spent the last week and a half converting Straily into a left-handed knuckleball pitcher, because we realized that it couldn't possibly be any more ineffective than what he is currently doing...  and at this point, hey, we may as well have fun with it.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Does this mean he definitely pitches tonight?

I thought the same thing.  Looks like he was warming up.  After the grand slam we might be in mop up which seems to fit his current role.

edit: he is on the mound.  3 up, 3 down inning.

edit 2: lead off double, gets out of it clean otherwise

Edit 3: k to start 9th.  Got a 2.1ip outing that he and we needed.  Even if it is the bus and their generally weak lineup.

Dan is doing his best to lead the league in HR allowed despite limited opportunities.  With his 4 allowed tonight, he sits just behind David Hess and Mike Leake for the league lead (19 versus 20) despite only 45.1 IP compared to Hess' 65 IP and Leake's 88.2 IP.  

This team is so desperate for innings that Straily will probably keep getting opportunities.  

29 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

This version of Straily is as bad a player as I’ve ever seen in my life. 

Yes, i know but i think some of the O's pitchers during the 14 years in the gutter were just as bad, maybe even worse.... Russ Ortiz's name immediately comes to mind. Look at his stats line for 2006 (e.g. 15 HRs in 40.33 IP). And he had been brought in by Leo Mazzone (his coach w the Braves during some very good seasons) in a last-ditch attempt to save the O's staff and Leo's inability to work some magic with it.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Yes, i know but i think some of the O's pitchers during the 14-years in the gutter were just as bad, maybe even worse.... Russ Ortiz's name immediately comes to mind. Look at his stats line for 2006 (e.g. 15 HRs in 40.33 IP). And he had been brought in by Leo Mazzone (his coach w the Braves during some very good seasons) in a last-ditch attempt to save the O's staff and Leo's inability to work some magic with it.

Ken Dixon, 1988, too.

42 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Ken Dixon, 1987, too.

FTFY, yeah that was pretty bad, but when you dig a little into the details, you see some competency, like his K-rate. Same is true of some other extremely poor seasons that nonetheless have some surprising stats buried in them, like the fact that Mike DeJean only 2 HRs in nearly 40 innings of 6.13 ERA work. With Straily, Ortiz, Bruce Chen in 2006, Radhames Liz, Steve Trachsel's second year w the Os, etc. one just felt they were out there getting relentlessly shelled, it was hard to watch, you ultimately felt pity for them, and even some outrage that they were allowed to put on a MLB uniform. That is, we would have gotten the point better if they'd come in outfitted in a clown suit.

Just now, LA2 said:

FTFY, yeah that was pretty bad, but when you dig a little into the details, you see some competency, like his K-rate. With Straily, Ortiz, Bruce Chen in 2006, Radhames Liz, Steve Trachsel's second year w the Os, etc. one just feels they were out there getting relentlessly shelled, you ultimately felt pity for them, and outrage that they were allowed to put on a MLB uniform--we would have gotten the point better if they'd come in wearing a clown suit.

Thanks for the 1987 correction. I was going off of memory...

Would you mind if I added Kent Mercker to your clown car?

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Thanks for the 1987 correction. I was going off of memory...

Would you mind if I added Kent Mercker to your clown car?

Haha, no, not at all. What an awful season he had, another example of what works in Atlanta not panning out with the O's, while going in the other direction seems to help players--the best example probably being Davey Johnson's 43-homer year in 1973, i.e. twice as many as the guy we traded him for in order to add power to the lineup (Earl Williams, Jr. who hit 22, then 14, and then got dumped back to Atlanta).

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

10 days wasn't long enough.  Hoping for 20 days this time.

The problem with 10 days is that's still a little less than it takes for his fastball to reach the plate. In terms of the theory of special relativity, it allows him to come back younger than the rest of the team and throw a second pitch.

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think it was a good idea to pick him up and try him out. Nothing lost by trying. Now I also think it's a good idea to let him go. We tried it, it failed, move on. You can overturn rocks but if you find a scorpion, put the rock back down.

Agreed time to find another similar target and hope they stick