Trumbo rehab begins again 8/27/19

interloper

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's will allow him to rehab in the minors  but I don't know  if he  makes it to playing for the O's.   Not if Nunez stays healthy.   The O's ate a lot of money to trade Cashner.   They could eat the last two months or so of Trumbo's contract rather than take playing time away from younger players.    There is nothing for the O's to gain by playing him.   

They could release him and see if anyone else wants him for nothing.  

I think what you suggested is the most likely outcome. Barring trades or an injury bug hitting the team there isn't any room on the roster for Trumbo. Plus he has yet to show the ability to stay healthy enough to play baseball.

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah if anything I was underselling it. A slow plodding player who can probably only be a DH, except his bat no longer plays well enough to be a DH. Trumbo should seriously consider retirement with his knee problems. He  is going to have enough trouble walking around as it is without any additional wear and tear. 

We don’t really know how his bat plays.   He posted a respectable .764 OPS last year.   He was at .726 in 8 rehab games this year, not really enough of a sample to judge.    I’m not saying anyone would trade for him, or that he has any real use on our team in our current situation.   But would it astound me if he was able to repeat his .764 from last year after completing his rehab?    Not really.  

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's will allow him to rehab in the minors  but I don't know  if he  makes it to playing for the O's.   Not if Nunez stays healthy.   The O's ate a lot of money to trade Cashner.   They could eat the last two months or so of Trumbo's contract rather than take playing time away from younger players.    There is nothing for the O's to gain by playing him.   

They could release him and see if anyone else wants him for nothing.  

Minor league rehabs can last up to 20 days, right?   And then the guy has to be put on the roster or else has a setback and goes back on IR.

So that would be August 12.   Still 20 days before rosters expand.   I wonder if they would bite the bullet and send down the 8th reliever for 20 days just to avoid cutting him.

I'm not saying I want this, just speculating.   We have the Davis precedent, obviously there are differences.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Minor league rehabs can last up to 20 days, right?   And then the guy has to be put on the roster or else has a setback and goes back on IR.

So that would be August 12.   Still 20 days before rosters expand.   I wonder if they would bite the bullet and send down the 8th reliever for 20 days just to avoid cutting him.

I'm not saying I want this, just speculating.   We have the Davis precedent, obviously there are differences.

I think all things considered they would give him a shot this year out of good faith. He's worked hard, is a good dude, they're already paying him and they're in tank mode. Let him give it a shot at the expense of a reliever or something. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think all things considered they would give him a shot this year out of good faith. He's worked hard, is a good dude, they're already paying him and they're in tank mode. Let him give it a shot at the expense of a reliever or something. 

Not really anything in it for the O's.  Good will with a player who is probably retiring?  The current regime has no history with him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Not really anything in it for the O's.  Good will with a player who is probably retiring?  The current regime has no history with him.

It looks good for your players that you gave him a chance, builds some trust and good will. What's the alternative, let him rehab a bunch and then just release him? Kinda weird. Let him ride out the contract at this point who cares.

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I would like to see Davis gone if Trumbo is ready.

Just now, interloper said:

It looks good for your players that you gave him a chance, builds some trust and good will. What's the alternative, let him rehab a bunch and then just release him? Kinda weird. Let him ride out the contract at this point who cares.

I don't see it making a difference.  You think Mancini will be more likely to sign a team friendly extension?  I wouldn't be feeling good will if I got bumped off the team for Trumbo.

And yes the alternative would be to let him rehab and then release him.  That's the way the system works.  Get him healthy so he can sign with another team if he can find an agreement.

• Upvote 1

I guess they could rehab him, then DFA him.  No one is picking up that contract.   He could accept a outrighting to the O's minors if not team wants him.  Then they could put him back on the  the 40 man roster in Sept and call him up.

I guess a lot depends on how he looks in rehab.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they will give Trumbo his shot, even though he has no future role in our organization.   Just a show of good faith.   

1 for 2 with a double so far tonight.    Apparently he can run well enough to get to 2B.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Trumbo and Davis on the 25 man roster and getting AB's at the expense of Nunez/Ruiz/Santander?   Sad.  I hope not.

I'll lose no sleep over that, if that's indeed the case. Dollars to doughnuts, none of those guys is going to be around for the turnaround. Way I see it, Mark's been nothing but a pro's pro and a solid citizen since he's been here. Let him go out on his terms, or as close to them as possible. 

Could look at it as us providing him a mini-showcase of sorts, in hopes of possibly catching on somewhere else. Big picture, other players (O's and non-O's alike) see that and - probably, hopefully - think that this is a team that looks out for its own, even if injured/on the mend.

Edited by Curse of the Bamdino

Keep him on his rehab assignment as long as possible to keep the insurance company on the hook. Then, release him and offer him a minor league contract with the understanding that he will be brought up when rosters expand - It's only about an 18 day wait.

If he has any interest in continuing his career, he'll take the offer, as no one else is likely to offer him anything. 

This is a solution that keeps the current squad intact without making the organization look bad.

I still wonder if they let him play a couple of games and then he goes back on the 60 day IL or of course release him. Orioles are in Anaheim this weekend. 

Gives him a chance to say goodbye in a way and play in a big league game one more time.