The value of the slots...

AceKing

The value of the slots is the Cubs were able to sign something like 5 relatively expensive players and still fill out their roster. They didn't get 21 players for our money, they just got a few expensive guys while still having the cash to fill out their DSL rosters. Hopefully we'll be on the other end of this equation in the future.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let me know if any of the 21 they signed with the Araujo money turns into anything.     

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

(Applause)

Emir Blanco, P 
NFI

Ricardo Green, P 
NFI 

Jorge Arellano, P 
NFI 

Luis Barrelliza, OF 
NFI 

Starling Mateo, OF 
NFI  

Elias Fabian OF 
NFI 

Anderson Feliz, P 
NFI 

Wilfri Figuereo, P 
NFI 

Samuel Rodriguez, P 
NFI 

Joanfran Rojas, INF 
R/R, 5'11 162, Age 17  
VENEZUELA 

Wilker Ruiz, P 
NFI 

Andricson Salvador, LHP 
L/L, 5'11 180, Age 18  
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 

Yovanny Cabrera, RHP  
R/R, 6'2 180, Age 18 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 

Enmanuel de la Cruz, RHP 
R/R, 6'2 168, Age 17 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 

Edgar Gamargo, C 
R/R, 5'10 172, Age 17 
VENEZUELA 

Joel Jimenez, RHP 
R/R, 6'0 160, Age 18 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC  

Gregori Montano, RHP 
R/R, 5'11 175, Age 19 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 

Marco Prieto, RHP 
R/R, 6'2 165, Age 19 
VENEZUELA 

Esmarly Tatis, INF 
B/R, 5'10 165, Age 19 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 

Luis Valenzuela, RHP 
R/R, 6'2 170, Age 17 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 

Kelvin Abreu, RHP  
R/R, 510 140, Age 18 
VENEZUELA 

Jonathan Alvarez, RHP 
R/R, 6'1 160, Age 19 
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do the cubs have 2 DSL teams or a VSL team?  Keep in mind we don't have a VSL team.  Plus, we got to keep Araujo, but don't have to have him on the 40 man roster.  So that 40 man roster spot is allowing us to keep another player at the moment.  

The VSL ceased operations in 2016.    All the Venezuelan guys go to the DSL now.   We have 11 Venezuelans on our DSL teams this summer.   

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

I remember watching a portion of a documentary about baseball. I don’t remember the name or the specific topic,  or even if it was specifically a documentary at all,  but the scene I recall involves a grizzled fat old American scout in South America holding tryouts for hopeful players. The first scene involves a bunch of guys throwing and swinging and running On a crude baseball diamond, and at the end of the tryout, he holds up his hands, says, “that’s enough for today, no prospects.“ And then he walks away. 

The next day he went through the same process, but this time one young man goes through the same process, and the Scout says,”  he can run, he can hit, he can throw, we have a prospect.“

He must’ve been incredibly excited, but I bet he didn’t sign for very much, and I would be surprised if he went very far.

Was it Roland Hemond or Syd Thrift?

3 hours ago, AceKing said:

The kind of talent this organization needs, I would imagine.  If you were told that the Orioles traded Araujo for 21 players, you’d be thrilled, I’d imagine.

We’d have scouting reports, and videos, and Luke would be giving us feedback.

instead, we get the “canned” thought that they “must be crappy cuz they wiz cheap”

Um, no. I really am not sure why you are so upset over this. These are basically like signing 21 30-40 round draft choices. 

Did you ever think that the Cubs needed to fill out one of their DSL teams? Who knows? But what I do know is that there s not a lot of good talent left in this signing period. 

You do know we have Koby Perez now running things internationally, right? You know that he is well respected. You also know that he is focused at this point on the 2019 and 2020 periods for a reason, right?

You are absolutely correct that I gave you a canned thought that the players signed for that amount of money at this stage are probably not that talented because it would fit the bill. Now maybe one will luck out and turn into something, but maybe that wa a guy the Cubs have been working for for years, or maybe it's because a Buscone owed them for something, who knows?

What I do know is that I'm unconcerned what the Cubs did with that $750K or what those players ever become because it has nothing to do with something the Orioles could have done. 

If Koby Perez doesn't think there are guys worth signing at this point, well I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm 100 times more interested in who they sign in 2019-20 and 2020-21 then anything going on with 2018-2019 funds.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Obviously, there is always someone you can sign.    It’s just a matter of whether the return amounts to anything.    Obviously the Orioles felt the potential return on Araujo was more than they’d get by signing more guys from the 2018-19 class, while the Cubs thought the opposite.    That may have been a function of how many open spots each team had at that point in time to put these players.  

Or the O's didn't have more money to spend.

1 hour ago, AceKing said:

I am sure the Cubs system is stacked.  Adding lots more to it adds all kinds of intrigue.  If I was a Cubs fan, I’d be thrilled.

instead, I am on the Pedro Araujo end.

The Cubs system is not stacked, it compares poorly to the O’s system.

It's hilarious that this is the kind of bargain bin low cost moves the Os had been doing internationally under Pete for years and now another team does it and it's a stroke of genius. You really can't please people. It's especially ironic because the Os have spent millions this period for the first time ever.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Says the same guy who thinks all these cheap international guys are trash compared to the real money guys like VVM. Which is it?

Can someone help Interloper out here?  He's says I'm on record saying cheap international guys are "trash" and evidently not wanting the team to sign them.  I don't recall ever saying the O's shouldn't sign guys (unless you count me thinking Gaston was a likely bust).

Did I ever make a post saying the that lower end signees were "trash" and that the O's shouldn't sign them?  Does anyone other than Interloper remember that happening?

30 minutes ago, LTO's said:

It's hilarious that this is the kind of bargain bin low cost moves the Os had been doing internationally under Pete for years and now another team does it and it's a stroke of genius. You really can't please people. It's especially ironic because the Os have spent millions this period for the first time ever.

It's hilarious how people keep pushing the Orioles' line that their was nothing worth signing when the teams we traded slot money found people they thought were worth signing.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's hilarious how people keep pushing the Orioles' line that their was nothing worth signing when the teams we traded slot money found people they thought were worth signing.

I'm only upset about them missing out on the top tier guys, but that was ownerships fault for letting a dead man walkin' GM execute a plan then letting Brady try to pick up the pieces after he left. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm only upset about them missing out on the top tier guys, but that was ownerships fault for letting a dead man walkin' GM execute a plan then letting Brady try to pick up the pieces after he left. 

I'm convinced that the O's didn't have the money in the budget to be particularly active in the market this year.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm convinced that the O's didn't have the money in the budget to be particularly active in the market this year.

You've made this clear........once or twice.   maybe

So before July 1st of this year how about we get something a little more clearly defined..........a true line in the sand.

Let's just consider a total spending number.

How much will Elias have to spend to convince you personally that the organizational philosophy has changed on this topic?

Archived