Fangraphs: D.J. Stewart

weams

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not take a swing at you.  When Eddie decides to swing he hits.

You are good a side stepping issues but  the point is I pretty sure Eddie thinks clutch hitting is a skill.

Pretty sure I don't care if Eddie thinks that.

Last time I checked Eddie had a hard time keeping a job as a hitting coach.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Keep hitting?  Smith has put up a 712 OPS in June.

I think the allure of Smith Jr is starting to wear off. He’s a below avg defender in LF, and he’s made multiple defensive errors. He’s a nice stop gap player, but I don’t think he’s blocking anyone. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure I don't care if Eddie thinks that.

Last time I checked Eddie had a hard time keeping a job as a hitting coach.

Any appeal to the authority of a HOFer can simply be countered by “Joe Morgan.”

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's unreasonable to judge a man on a week's worth of performance?  @wildcard would beg to differ.

I hope Stewart can get back quickly, I want to see what he can do.  Never been a big believer but curious to see if he can turn into something.

In this universe.  I don't think anyone expected him to have done what he's done, holes in his game and everything.

I don’t remember who said it, maybe Jon Shepherd, but “average” is great.

how many teams would love to have “average” players? An “Average” pitcher is a 3-4 guy, an “Average” player will hit ~17 home runs.

Smith is average, and that’s great.

For now.

Stewart won’t supplant him, unless they want to let Stewart continue to develop in the Bigs.

actually, I don’t think Stewart will supplant Santander either. Stewart is a September guy.

next year? 

We’ll see...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, makoman said:

Any appeal to the authority of a HOFer can simply be countered by “Joe Morgan.”

Have to love those who take any opportunity to bash a great HOF baseball player like Joe Morgan in such a cavalier way.  Not.

Getting back to DJ Stewart, one can hope he can finish the season healthy and with 250+ productive major league at bats this season.  Interesting that Fangraphs thinks it may be that Stewart is the one who "turned a corner" and no one is looking at the guys who graded nearly 50 Tampa prospects better than DJ as if they are the ones who missed the boat.

16 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Have to love those who take any opportunity to bash a great HOF baseball player like Joe Morgan in such a cavalier way.  Not.

Getting back to DJ Stewart, one can hope he can finish the season healthy and with 250+ productive major league at bats this season.  Interesting that Fangraphs thinks it may be that Stewart is the one who "turned a corner" and no one is looking at the guys who graded nearly 50 Tampa prospects better than DJ as if they are the ones who missed the boat.

No one is taking away what he did to earn his place in the HoF.  However skill on the field does not excuse his work as an analyst.  Firejoemorgan.com is one of my all time favorite websites.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t remember who said it, maybe Jon Shepherd, but “average” is great.

how many teams would love to have “average” players? An “Average” pitcher is a 3-4 guy, an “Average” player will hit ~17 home runs.

Smith is average, and that’s great.

For now.

Stewart won’t supplant him, unless they want to let Stewart continue to develop in the Bigs.

actually, I don’t think Stewart will supplant Santander either. Stewart is a September guy.

next year? 

We’ll see...

Smith is on pace for about 0.2 WAR. That’s not average. 

• Upvote 1