Astros Designate AJ Reed

weams

9 hours ago, AceKing said:

3 years ago he had 34/127

2 years ago he had 34/104

1 year ago he had 28/107

this year he had 12/35 so far.

he would still be the best hitter we have down there even with this flameout.

I have not posted in this thread until now, and just looked at Reed for the first time with a totally open mind.   I don’t think you appreciate enough the environment Reed has been playing in.    Just starting with 2019, the PCL as a whole is hitting .274/.352/.472, and Round Rock is hitting .279/.365/.499.    Reed is hitting .224/.329/.469.    That is well below the league and team average in all three slash categories.    Meanwhile, the International League is hitting .266/.343/.449, Norfolk is hitting .266/.331/.428 and Ryan Mountcastle is hitting .304/.327/.503, well above league and team average in BA and SLG and much closer in OBP than Reed is.    And Mountcastle is 4 years younger.   

That said, I would not be against cutting Chris Davis and giving Reed a half-season to show what he can do.   Looking at Reed’s season, he had a .459 OPS in April and missed more than half the month with injuries, then returned in early May and put up .832 in May and .987 in June.    So, he’s on the upswing, and what the heck, he can’t be worse than Davis.   I think Mountcastle is likely to be better in the long run, but for now I’d prefer him in AAA and taking a flyer on Reed in the meantime can’t hurt anything.   

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have not posted in this thread until now, and just looked at Reed for the first time with a totally open mind.   I don’t think you appreciate enough the environment Reed has been playing in.    Just starting with 2019, the PCL as a whole is hitting .274/.352/.472, and Round Rock is hitting .279/.365/.499.    Reed is hitting .224/.329/.469.    That is well below the league and team average in all three slash categories.    Meanwhile, the International League is hitting .266/.343/.449, Norfolk is hitting .266/.331/.428 and Ryan Mountcastle is hitting .304/.327/.503, well above league and team average in BA and SLG and much closer in OBP than Reed is.    And Mountcastle is 4 years younger.   

That said, I would not be against cutting Chris Davis and giving Reed a half-season to show what he can do.   Looking at Reed’s season, he had a .459 OPS in April and missed more than half the month with injuries, then returned in early May and put up .832 in May and .987 in June.    So, he’s on the upswing, and what the heck, he can’t be worse than Davis.   I think Mountcastle is likely to be better in the long run, but for now I’d prefer him in AAA and taking a flyer on Reed in the meantime can’t hurt anything.   

Nice analysis Frobby and spot on. As I said earlier, I'd be fine if the Orioles want to claim him and play at Norfolk at 1B and see if a change in scenery helps him out. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice analysis Frobby and spot on. As I said earlier, I'd be fine if the Orioles want to claim him and play at Norfolk at 1B and see if a change in scenery helps him out. 

They really have very little to lose imo.

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Especially when we can move someone to the 60 day DL to claim him. 

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

PCL.

Are you his brother?  You seem oddly invested in him.

I like talented players.  He has been hurt, but has talent.  He was also an Ace level College pitcher.  He is a good baseball player, and I don’t think his career story has been fully written yet.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt the O's are DFAing Davis.  Reed to AAA seems more likely. Carroll re-called and put on the 60 day DL to make room on the 40 man roster.   Eshelman recalled to take Lucas spot on the 25 man roster.

I believe that Elias will have to trade for Reed to get him.  I wonder what he is willing to give up.

In an unrelated  move Smith down and Stewart up seems likely in the near future.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I doubt the O's are DFAing Davis.  Reed to AAA seems more likely. Carroll re-called and put on the 60 day DL to make room on the 40 man roster.   Eshelman recalled to take Lucas spot on the 25 man roster.

I believe that Elias will have to trade for Reed to get him.  I wonder what he is willing to give up.

In an unrelated  move Smith down and Stewart up seems likely in the near future.

To me, the only reason to acquire Reed is to see what he can do in the majors.    No point in acquiring him to stash him in AAA, where he’s already played 376 games.    If the O’s aren’t ready to DFA either Davis or Nunez, then I wouldn’t bother acquiring Reed.    And while I agree it might take a trade to get him, I certainly wouldn’t give up more than a token player to acquire him.  

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me, the only reason to acquire Reed is to see what he can do in the majors.    No point in acquiring him to stash him in AAA, where he’s already played 376 games.    If the O’s aren’t ready to DFA either Davis or Nunez, then I wouldn’t bother acquiring Reed.    And while I agree it might take a trade to get him, I certainly wouldn’t give up more than a token player to acquire him.  

I think we could acquire him and put him in AAA just until we sort out a spot. Carroll to the 60 day DL makes the most sense. If we do have to trade for him it would be a player not on the 40 man, because the astros have a 40 man roster crunch. 

I think it will be interesting to see if Elias wants him. How eager Elias and HOU are to do business with each other?  

Also, it’s been 4 days since his DFA, they have 10 to work out a trade before he’s put on waivers. 

On 7/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, Frobby said:

He hasn't hit well in AAA this year although he has been hot of late. I'd have no issues trying to stash him in AAA. I doubt the Orioles are going top DFA Davis or Nunez for Reed and there's no other place to play him other than at Norfolk. So they can get him on a waiver claim or send a C-type prospect like Encanacion for him, then why not?

34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He hasn't hit well in AAA this year although he has been hot of late. I'd have no issues trying to stash him in AAA. I doubt the Orioles are going top DFA Davis or Nunez for Reed and there's no other place to play him other than at Norfolk. So they can get him on a waiver claim or send a C-type prospect like Encanacion for him, then why not?

Encarnacion?  I wouldn't be happy if this trade happened.  You don't think they'd take some toss in like a Cameron Ming, Bryan Gonzalez, or Cole Billingsly?

On 7/4/2019 at 11:09 PM, Moose Milligan said:

That was like 3 years ago.

A lot of the luster has worn off.  If we get him, fine...but I don't understand chomping at the bit to sign him.  He just turned 26 and while time still is on his side, there's not much left.  I mean, if AJ Reed was an Oriole prospect who'd flamed out in this fashion and we'd DFA'd him, would you be really upset about it?  

I can’t find the post where someone mentioned picking up this guy only if the Orioles DFA one of Davis/Núñez.

Nunez is the 1st player in Orioles history to have 10 or more homers versus LH and RH in the 1st half in Orioles history. Can’t believe someone would actually suggest he be DFA’d 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I can’t find the post where someone mentioned picking up this guy only if the Orioles DFA one of Davis/Núñez.

Nunez is the 1st player in Orioles history to have 10 or more homers versus LH and RH in the 1st half in Orioles history. Can’t believe someone would actually suggest he be DFA’d 

I heard that on the radio and was surprised Frank Robinson or Eddie Murray hadn't accomplished that.  I guess it's a matter of having limited number of at bats versus LHP in half a season.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I was the one who mentioned it, but I was more focused on Davis.   I didn’t say we should DFA Núñez, I said I didn’t think we should pick up Reed unless we were willing to DFA Davis or Núñez and let Reed play.

I found that stat about hitting homers vs. LHP/RHP in the first half to be laughably obscure.    

Archived