Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

7 minutes ago, Obando said:

Plenty of international players that got paid on the cheap have gone on to have successful major league careers.  A current example is Ronald Acuna Jr., who signed for $100k with the Braves.  I think Luis Severino signed with the Yankees for like $70k.  Just because these guys weren’t highly thought of at the time they signed doesn’t mean they can’t develop into very good players, as they have.  We see plenty of players get big bonuses and bust (both domestic & international).  That’s why none of us can say for sure that this was a bad trade, because we can’t judge these guys based on what dollar amount they signed for.  I trust Mike Elias & Koby Perez on this one.

Do you think the White Sox regret trading Fernando Tatis Jr. in the deal for James Shields back in 2016?  At the time, Tatis Jr. wasn’t considered a stud prospect and was far away from the big leagues (and he was only 17), which is why the White Sox were willing to give him up and take on a past-his-prime Shields and his big salary.  But look what happened once Tatis got to San Diego?  He developed into a stud, and now the White Sox look pretty bad for making that trade, especially considering they were a fringe contender that year to begin with and Shields wasn’t going to suddenly turn back into the ace he was 3-4 years before that.  Cashner is probably at the same level now that Shields was at that time (maybe even slightly better), only with a much more manageable salary and a pending FA versus a long term albatross of a contract that Shields had.

Lots of good thoughts here. Also, I believe I saw that either Encarnacion or Carmona in our org signed for like 5-10k. I’m sure after 30 games of playing, basically a high school season, that Prado would be more coveted than he was. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Lots of good thoughts here. Also, I believe I saw that either Encarnacion or Carmona in our org signed for like 5-10k. I’m sure after 30 games of playing, basically a high school season, that Prado would be more coveted than he was. 

Also pretty sure that the Rays starter last night, Chirinos, was signed for dirt cheap, too.

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

We should leak the names of the other guys offered, let those guys know Boston wanted us to take them... create some Red Sox drama in the Latin American community. 

I don't think that would be worth the hit to Elias' reputation that he would suffer with the other teams.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Does this close the door on a potential playoff berth?!?!?!?

Problem is, you can't just throw the towel in on the games and not play.  Someone has to pitch.  it stretches an already thin pitching staff to trade Cashner since he's been a lock to pitch 5-6 innings during most of his starts.  And Bundy is now on the DL. Cashner was one I was on the fence about trading of all of the people on the roster, especially with only one trade deadline this year.  

• Upvote 1

Can someone who is upset about trading Andrew Cashner provide what you were expected to get in return?

I'm not really a fan of just appealing to authority but...just because you Mr. random poster on Orioles Hangouts hasn't heard of a prospect doesn't mean they are worthless...they're lotto tickets that I'm pretty sure the Orioles just didn't randomly pick. 

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Lou/John don't look at it as spending almost $5M to trade for 2 players that the Red Sox bought for under $400K combined.   Look at it as saving about $11.4M through next year.

What should be the $$$ threshold before asking for Lou/John to approve?

I don’t think either way you mention makes any logical sense.

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

Depends on how serious we are about international talent. If we aren’t willing to tell them that our rivals didn’t want them, how can they trust us. 

If I'm a GM with another team and the O's pull a trick like that on the Sox,  I'm only trading with them as a last resort.

16 minutes ago, Obando said:

Plenty of international players that got paid on the cheap have gone on to have successful major league careers.  A current example is Ronald Acuna Jr., who signed for $100k with the Braves.  I think Luis Severino signed with the Yankees for like $70k.  Just because these guys weren’t highly thought of at the time they signed doesn’t mean they can’t develop into very good players, as they have.  We see plenty of players get big bonuses and bust (both domestic & international).  That’s why none of us can say for sure that this was a bad trade, because we can’t judge these guys based on what dollar amount they signed for.  I trust Mike Elias & Koby Perez on this one.

Do you think the White Sox regret trading Fernando Tatis Jr. in the deal for James Shields back in 2016?  At the time, Tatis Jr. wasn’t considered a stud prospect and was far away from the big leagues (and he was only 17), which is why the White Sox were willing to give him up and take on a past-his-prime Shields and his big salary.  But look what happened once Tatis got to San Diego?  He developed into a stud, and now the White Sox look pretty bad for making that trade, especially considering they were a fringe contender that year to begin with and Shields wasn’t going to suddenly turn back into the ace he was 3-4 years before that.  Cashner is probably at the same level now that Shields was at that time (maybe even slightly better), only with a much more manageable salary and a pending FA versus a long term albatross of a contract that Shields had.

On the flip side, the Padres got what everyone considered a steal when they traded Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza, who was a top 20 MLB prospect at the time of his trade.  Four years later and too many injuries to count, he has yet to pitch in AA ball and has been surpassed by countless other pitchers on their roster this year.  

It just goes to prove that prospects are a crap shoot.  

Not that it's my money, but I thought they would lose a bit more.  Sox at luxury tax level so maybe I shouldn't be  surprised they didn't eat that much.

I know nothing of the return guys.  Hopefully it makes the Dominican teams better and at least 1 contributes at some point.

Would always like to see more established, but I can understand why Cashner doesn't necessarily bring that.  Lotto tickets beats more 1B or utility infielders.

Considering how many college draftees are filling GCL and Aberdeen, combined with Delmarva looking to have some decent guys it's nice to fill other leagues.  I am confident that any frederick,Bowie, Norfolk level player would not have much upside in this type deal.