The official "Do not call up Matt Wieters" thread

daveko6911

I think DT would actually need to be told to DH him three or more times a week. I get the feeling Ramon is DT's least favorite Oriole position player.

Yeah. He did seem to let that slip that one time. Still it is strange that he still puts him out there so much.

My guess is you wont see an active roster with both Wieters and Hernandez at the same time.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to watch him every day. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone not excited to watch him tommorrow.

But would you jump all over the Orioles for doing it?

I am advocating bringing him up and people get all bent out of shape about it.

But what if the Orioles did it? Would you guys do the same thing?

But would you jump all over the Orioles for doing it?

I am advocating bringing him up and people get all bent out of shape about it.

But what if the Orioles did it? Would you guys do the same thing?

I think what people are getting bent out of shape about are the absolute nature of your (and crstoners) statements framing the debate. I wanted the Orioles to start Wieters at AA and move him there quicker than they did. BUT, the goal here was to get Wieters acclimated to pro ball and ready for the majors. In less than a year he has risen to arguably the top prospect in baseball, is mashing the ball and has sky high confidence.

Maybe this would've been the case even under your more accelerated promotion schedule, or maybe not. Saying things like our player development's done nothing for Wieters or that we've mishandled him is crazy talk. You're assuming with absolute certainty that your hypothetical situation would be better than the near perfect reality.

I would love to see Wieters in Baltimore but lets not act like its a travesty if he doesn't get a 100 plate appearances in the majors this year and enters next season with sky high confidence, a minor league championship, a little less time on the service clock, and a host of accolades as baseball's top prospect.

I think what people are getting bent out of shape about are the absolute nature of your (and crstoners) statements framing the debate. I wanted the Orioles to start Wieters at AA and move him there quicker than they did. BUT, the goal here was to get Wieters acclimated to pro ball and ready for the majors. In less than a year he has risen to arguably the top prospect in baseball, is mashing the ball and has sky high confidence.

Maybe this would've been the case even under your more accelerated promotion schedule, or maybe not. Saying things like our player development's done nothing for Wieters or that we've mishandled him is crazy talk. You're assuming with absolute certainty that your hypothetical situation would be better than the near perfect reality.I would love to see Wieters in Baltimore but lets not act like its a travesty if he doesn't get a 100 plate appearances in the majors this year and enters next season with sky high confidence, a minor league championship, a little less time on the service clock, and a host of accolades as baseball's top prospect.

I have a ton of confidence in this kids ability....He was an extremely advanced college player...He has been better in AA than single A and he isn't some ridiculously young player(like Pudge was).

So yes, i can confidently say he would have been as good because Wieters is just that good.

The prevailing thought on this board is..if the Orioles say so, then it is a good and smart thing.

I have a ton of confidence in this kids ability....He was an extremely advanced college player...He has been better in AA than single A and he isn't some ridiculously young player(like Pudge was).

So yes, i can confidently say he would have been as good because Wieters is just that good.

The prevailing thought on this board is..if the Orioles say so, then it is a good and smart thing.

I can only speak for myself, but I am ok with either course of action. I do trust the current FOto make a good choice and frankly I think this is a case where a bad choice is just not easy to make because it will make very little difference. Matt is going to be a super star and I don't think anything but an injury will change that. For a catching prospect one of the great things is his bat looks like it plays anywhere, meaning a move to first or DH would not distroy his value like most catchers.

Maybe this would've been the case even under your more accelerated promotion schedule, or maybe not. Saying things like our player development's done nothing for Wieters or that we've mishandled him is crazy talk. You're assuming with absolute certainty that your hypothetical situation would be better than the near perfect reality.

I would love to see Wieters in Baltimore but lets not act like its a travesty if he doesn't get a 100 plate appearances in the majors this year and enters next season with sky high confidence, a minor league championship, a little less time on the service clock, and a host of accolades as baseball's top prospect.

What he said.

What relevance will winning the Eastern League championship have to winning the American League championship?

It's just experience he can gain, in a playoff atmosphere. The pressure rachetted up a few notches. Experience of a team effort, not just his own personal stats.

But in response to SG's question... I wouldn't be at all sorry if he was called up today (just not to sit the bench of course...) I'd LOVE to see him!

Wieters

Bowie

368 avg

49 for 133

10 doubles

9 homers

39 RBI

26 walks

19 k's

1,110 OPS

Frederick

345 avg

79 for 229

8 doubles

15 homers

40 RBI

44 walks

47 k's

1,024 OPS

There is nothing that he is learning in the Minors at this point... he is posting better numbers at Bowie, then he did at Frederick.

Hitting obviously doesn't appear to be a problem, but he is learning how to call games behind the plate....which he never did in college. I'm in favor of letting him learn that in the minors. But IMO, a move up to AAA would be appropriate.

Yep. I can go either way concerning Wieters, I just think it's absurd for someone to act like it's a travesty that he's still in the minors and there is no other reasonable course of action. Also statements saying he's not learning anything in the minors and the one's MP refers to here are very over the top imo.

To me, it's just making way too big of a deal about this. It's just not that important to his or the O's future imo if he comes up now, 9/1, 4/1/09, or 4/16/09 or something like that.

No.. I guess I should have directed that response to Mashed Potatoes....

However, you are stating you think it is absurd for someone to act like it is a travesty that he is still in the minors, and that there is no other reasonable course of action... and I do not think that is what was argued.

My point with the quotes posted is that even though I have argued why I want Wieters up now, and what errors I think the O's Player Development staff has made with Wieters.... I did allow it was fine for the O's to start him in Frederick, and that no long-term harm to his development has occurred.

Yes, you did allow what you say in the last sentence, but you guys did argue what I said which you refer to in your second paragraph imo. I also think my comment that you refer to can be applied to some other threads as well.

Yes, in this thread and in many other threads there plenty of opinions of my own which are stated in absolute terms.

I do believe the world is less white and black, and more often shades of grey.... but I do believe there are absolutes.

That's fine, basically everyone including myself does that at times, I just think you are making way too big of a deal about this issue and the issues in the other threads that I'm talking about.

I also think a quote like this is way over the top and wrong: "There is nothing that he is learning in the Minors at this point"

Archived