Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

OFFNY

Just now, scOtt said:

Stop. Gary calls the game as it happens. He's no homer, he's a professional. If the opposing team beats our ass he calls it that way.

Listen to other announcers..  We are the only team who has "opposite" homers.  He was waayyy too happy at that missed play by Stevie.  I want to hear just a little disappointment when we give up a deflating play, not excitement.  Also, professionals don't drink on the job.  

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Redemption, to a certain extent.

o

Just now, spiritof66 said:

He still owes the team one run.

o

2 runs ........ the Angels scored 3 runs on that play that he muffed.

On the same subject, it's a team game, and we win and lose as a team.

o

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Jeez a work night, a West coast game where one of the starters was a super slow worker, and now we're staring down the barrel of extra innings.  Wonder if I can function tomorrow on 4 hours of sleep?

I've done it every day for two weeks. Suck it up. It's Friday. Not like you have to actually work! ?

That commercial doesn't make sense if you think about it.

"When a bear is chasing you, you take off faster than a toupee in a fan factory".  And it shows the bank of fans and the guy's toupee lifting up.

But it's a fan FACTORY.  Where they MAKE fans.  So why would there be a big bank of fans going?

Deep thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Listen to other announcers..  We are the only team who has "opposite" homers.  He was waayyy too happy at that missed play by Stevie.  I want to hear just a little disappointment when we give up a deflating play, not excitement.  Also, professionals don't drink on the job.  

Agree to disagree.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• You do know that Gunnar is hitting .290? Rustchman .300? O'Hearn .283? Westburg .282? Mountcastle .276? Watch the games much?
    • @Filmstudy that you for the detail on why you don't believe that Robert is a good fit. I tend to agree. 1. Cedric is finally coming out of his funk. 2. (And I know you don't put much stock into what coaches and FO personnel say publicly based on your excellent Raven's content) But Elias just about stated outright yesterday during his media appearance in Norfolk that all of his interest in acquisitions would be as he called it "on the pitching side".  3. Our offense is already # 1 in the sport as is. However, our pitching has not been very good since we have been forced to go with Suarez, Irvin, and Povich as the #3, 4, 5 options. IMO that combo over a long stretch of time will put a serious strain on the bullpen AND you really would not your chances of defeating multiple teams in the playoffs with any of them getting starts in every round (some times in pivotal/possible elimination games). IMO pitching is the real need/where the weaknesses lie.  4. I just wanted to give a shout out for your devotion to the belief in platoons...lol... But if the O's did acquire Robert by some chance, there is literally less than a ZERO chance that he would be used as a platoon player.
    • It's a partially elastic collision, so the EV reduction is going to be a little less than the velocity reduction from a thrown baseball.   I also think that hitters would eventually adjust and there would be more hitters in the mold of Luis Arraez, that focus on hitting soft line drives with a 65 mph bat speed.  Either way the BABIP of a whiff is .000 so I think baseball is better served seeing more batted balls even if BABIP is slightly depressed due to a reduction in EV.  Launch angle is also a large component to BABIP and batters can still square the ball up to maximize their chances.  And since a heavier ball will move less, it should be easier to square it up.
    • Let me know if you get to the North Country, tickets!
    • He'll be fine, I'm always somewhat skeptical about defensive scouting reports.  I think that ME hasn't given him OF reps-not even in ST which tells me they aren't seriously considering moving him off the dirt.  As @Tony-OH noted he's had 3 errors on his last ~40 games-no one seems to be worried about Hollliday who at 2B has made 10 in the same time period.
    • This is dependent on the idea that the amount of energy delivered is somewhat constant.  In practice I think that while there would be some velocity reductions, the limitations are more on the raw velocity, and pitchers would be able to compensate with stronger arm or leg muscles.   My reasoning here is based on NFL combine numbers; a decent number of QBs are able to hit 60+ MPH, while there are like 2 pitchers in all of MLB that are able to exceed 102 MPH (which is what you would need to match the energy of a 60 mph football.)   I do think that it would cause fatigue faster among starters, unless they paced themselves more, so starter velocity would probably go down by theoretical number, while reliver velocity might only go down 1 mph or not at all.   A heavier ball will reduce spin-induced movement too, and will (likely) reduce the amount of spin pitchers can impart (though this has the same caveat as above with pitchers adapting with larger muscles.)  So even if velocity only goes down a little bit the reduced movement should make the ball easier to hit.
    • I'd like to thank Burnes' wife for hanging on until the weekend.  It's less obvious than another pothole.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now