We are Number Eight

weams

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Please! He was not a top daft selection or a highly touted international prospect. He was in the top 5 in one of the worst systems in the majors for most of the last 30 years. Was he a top 100? NO ... he wasn't a top prospect 

He was a top 100 prospect, however, he was really struggling in Bowie at the time of the trade.  That kind of trade was typical back in 2014.  That ended when the Cubs traded Torres for Chapman.  Rental trades have been decreasing since then as teams are more focused on control.  It used to be 2 months of a player like Machado or Teixiera would net a ransom in prospects, but as we saw with Machado, that's not the case anymore.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Zack Davies is the first name that comes to mind. Josh Hader too, but I don’t disagree with that trade at all. I think the Bud Norris was the best one he made

Neither guy was a top rated prospect. Every rumor back then revolved around Gausman and Bundy.

26 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He was a top 100 prospect, however, he was really struggling in Bowie at the time of the trade.  That kind of trade was typical back in 2014.  That ended when the Cubs traded Torres for Chapman.  Rental trades have been decreasing since then as teams are more focused on control.  It used to be 2 months of a player like Machado or Teixiera would net a ransom in prospects, but as we saw with Machado, that's not the case anymore.  

None of Villar, Mancini, or Givens are rentals. So we are in a good spot.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Schoop wasn't a rental, until he was.

It's possible that a team trade for Villar expecting to non-tender him.

I would. Any team can get him at a fraction of what he’ll make in arbitration. What’s the market for over aggressive, middling IFs who are about to be over paid in arbitration? I’m not sure there’s a trade market for him.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I would. Any team can get him at a fraction of what he’ll make in arbitration. What’s the market for over aggressive, middling IFs who are about to be over paid in arbitration? I’m not sure there’s a trade market for him.

I don't think he was regarded as much of an asset when he was traded last year.  I think he was a mandatory part of the deal from the Brewers side.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he was regarded as much of an asset when he was traded last year.  I think he was a mandatory part of the deal from the Brewers side.

I think that’s right. Some people here seem to think he has value though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks here think he's better than Schoop.

Villar's WAR numbers have been slightly higher than Schoop's for the past two years.  That pesky WAR again.  Schoop will probably always be dogged by inconsistency.  Feel bad for the Brewers.  They traded for the 2017 Schoop and got the 2018 version.