Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

On 9/8/2019 at 8:35 AM, Can_of_corn said:

ED465kdWsAIllFS?format=jpg&name=small

2018-MLB-UnAllStar-Team-Americas-White-B

Nothing to see here, IMO. His leaner physique has had no effect on how hard he's hitting balls (he's hitting them harder than he has in years). I don't think muscle mass would have helped him with the called third strike problem, or the ability to make contact. He cranked a 98 mph heater deep to RF this year. The problem isn't muscle or weight, it's just making contact at all. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nothing to see here, IMO. His leaner physique has had no effect on how hard he's hitting balls (he's hitting them harder than he has in years). I don't think muscle mass would have helped him with the called third strike problem, or the ability to make contact. He cranked a 98 mph heater deep to RF this year. The problem isn't muscle or weight, it's just making contact at all. 

To me it points to the fact that he isn't putting the work in.  If he's not maintaining his physique and he is lying about working with the hitting coach in the offseason than it is safe to assume he isn't putting in the needed work to stay a ML player.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me it points to the fact that he isn't putting the work in.  If he's not maintaining his physique and he is lying about working with the hitting coach in the offseason than it is safe to assume he isn't putting in the needed work to stay a ML player.

To me, it indicates (as opposed to a fact) that he thinks if he's leaner, it will help him increase his bat speed.   If he wasn't putting any work in, he wouldn't get leaner, he'd lose muscle tone and maybe get heavier.

6 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

To me, it indicates (as opposed to a fact) that he thinks if he's leaner, it will help him increase his bat speed.   If he wasn't putting any work in, he wouldn't get leaner, he'd lose muscle tone and maybe get heavier.

That would assume he's eating the same diet as he was when he was maintaining a more muscular frame.  He was probably eating 3K calories a day in the second picture.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would assume he's eating the same diet as he was when he was maintaining a more muscular frame.  He was probably eating 3K calories a day in the second picture.

If you want to bulk up, eat more, lift higher weights, do less reps.  To get leaner, do the opposite.  He still appears to be muscular, but leaner.  

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

If you want to bulk up, eat more, lift higher weights, do less reps.  To get leaner, do the opposite.  He still appears to be muscular, but leaner.  

You can also get leaner, from a muscular start, by eating less, lifting lighter weights and not doing more reps.  Which is pretty similar to just not working as hard.

I've never said that I think he's stopped working entirely.

If it was just the body size and not the body size, him lying about working with his old hitting coach and his decrease in foot speed I might not have the opinion I do.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can also get leaner, from a muscular start, by eating less, lifting lighter weights and not doing more reps.  Which is pretty similar to just not working as hard.

Your argument went from a definitive "he isn't putting the work in" to "not working as hard."   "Isn't putting the work in" could mean he has given up and doesn't care about his results, which I refuse to believe.   His failures are magnified and ridiculed on the national stage.   How anyone would be content to pack it in and not even try to change is beyond me.  No professional athlete with any self-esteem would want to be him right now.    The time to play the kid's game is short.  Davis hit the wall at 31 and is struggling at 33.  He would hardly be the first ballplayer who refuses to believe it when their time is over.  

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Your argument went from a definitive "he isn't putting the work in" to "not working as hard."   "Isn't putting the work in" could mean he has given up and doesn't care about his results, which I refuse to believe.   His failures are magnified and ridiculed on the national stage.   How anyone would be content to pack it in and not even try to change is beyond me.  No professional athlete with any self-esteem would want to be him right now.    The time to play the kid's game is short.  Davis hit the wall at 31 and is struggling at 33.  He would hardly be the first ballplayer who refuses to believe it when their time is over.  

Putting the work in means working hard.  It doesn't mean letting yourself go completely to pot.

He's gotten lighter and yet he's slower of foot.  He's noticeably less muscular.  He bold faced lied about what he was doing in the offseason.

He looks like what big guys that don't go to fat turn into three years into retirement.

PLYPDA2KEVLB7ALPHE4EOHEE34.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Your argument went from a definitive "he isn't putting the work in" to "not working as hard." "Isn't putting the work in" could mean he has given up and doesn't care about his results, which I refuse to believe. His failures are magnified and ridiculed on the national stage. How anyone would be content to pack it in and not even try to change is beyond me. No professional athlete with any self-esteem would want to be him right now. The time to play the kid's game is short. Davis hit the wall at 31, and is struggling at 33. He would hardly be the first ballplayer who refuses to believe it when their time is over.

o

Ballplayers, and athletes in other many other professions.

This clip starts with highlights of Sugar Ray Robinson winning the Featherweight Golden Gloves championship in 1939 ........ the bulk of the video is from his final professional bout, when he was 44 years-old in November of 1965.

o