Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

"Also said Davis needs to make some adjustments at plate and knows it"

Apparently, it takes at least 2 full seasons for Davis to make these adjustments that he knows he needs to make...

I just don't buy that he's made a reasonable effort.  On the times that he actually makes solid contact, there are too many times he's hit right into the shift.  

10 hours ago, CheeryO said:

The precedent I was thinking of was Gil Meche of the Royals, who forfeited $12 million after retiring because he didn't think he could earn it.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html

I’ve referenced this before. Big difference is that Meche, even though he was bad the year before he decided to retire, was productive for two years of the contract.

“This isn’t about being a hero — that’s not even close to what it’s about,” Meche said this week. “It’s just me getting back to a point in my life where I’m comfortable. Making that amount of money from a team that’s already given me over $40 million for my life and for my kids, it just wasn’t the right thing to do.”

Meche told the Royals’ general manager, Dayton Moore, that he did not want any of the paycheck due him. No settlement, no buyout, no strings. The Royals had been roundly criticized for signing Meche in the first place — he was 55-44 with a 4.65 earned run average in six seasons for the Mariners — and Meche believed they had already paid him enough.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

He needed to make adjustments in 2018.    He didn't.

He clearly needed to make adjustments this year.   He didn't?

Maybe 2020 will have a new tagline - the Year of the Adjustments.

Let's be real. He has lied about his workouts offseason now several years in a row. He was suspended for PED use when the Oriole were deep in the playoffs. This is not a good dude or a useful one. 

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I’ve referenced this before. Big difference is that Meche, even though he was bad the year before he decided to retire, was productive for much of the contract.

“This isn’t about being a hero — that’s not even close to what it’s about,” Meche said this week. “It’s just me getting back to a point in my life where I’m comfortable. Making that amount of money from a team that’s already given me over $40 million for my life and for my kids, it just wasn’t the right thing to do.”

Meche told the Royals’ general manager, Dayton Moore, that he did not want any of the paycheck due him. No settlement, no buyout, no strings. The Royals had been roundly criticized for signing Meche in the first place — he was 55-44 with a 4.65 earned run average in six seasons for the Mariners — and Meche believed they had already paid him enough.

He also was not a poster child for Scott Boras at a battleground point in the union's stagnation in free agent values. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Let's be real. He has lied about his workouts offseason now several years in a row. He was suspended for PED use when the Oriole were deep in the playoffs. This is not a good dude or a useful one. 

I'm with you on the lying about his workouts, thought about mentioning that but decided to be a tad more diplomatic.  I don't think that little "disagreement on the facts" between him and the hitting coach speaks well of him either.

And while yeah his Adderall suspension was also his fault for not getting the paperwork done in time or whatever for the exemption, I think that just speaks more to his laziness / aloofness than anything else.  Not that that's a positive thing.

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Let's be real. He has lied about his workouts offseason now several years in a row.

Seems like an unsupported exaggeration.   Putting aside what he said about the 2017-18 offseason, what are the other of the “several years in a row” in which he lied about his offseason workouts?    What did he say, what about it was false, and what’s your proof of its’ falsity?

The guy is a lousy baseball player. That’s as far as I’ll take it.    

10 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm with you on the lying about his workouts, thought about mentioning that but decided to be a tad more diplomatic.  I don't think that little "disagreement on the facts" between him and the hitting coach speaks well of him either.

And while yeah his Adderall suspension was also his fault for not getting the paperwork done in time or whatever for the exemption, I think that just speaks more to his laziness / aloofness than anything else.  Not that that's a positive thing.

They crush the Adderall. It is a very powerful PED. It also has good uses for youth with ADD. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems like an unsupported exaggeration.   Putting aside what he said about the 2017-18 offseason, what are the other of the “several years in a row” in which he lied about his offseason workouts?    What did he say, what about it was false, and what’s your proof of its’ falsity?

The guy is a lousy baseball player. That’s as far as I’ll take it.    

I remember reading that he had not been involved with the Orioles the last two offseasons regarding nutrition, training plans, or workout and hitting drill coordination.  But you are right. As I wrote the post it was unsupported. I retract without edit. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

They crush the Adderall. It is a very powerful PED. It also has good uses for youth with ADD. 

My only comment on this is that I believe that Davis absolutely has been diagnosed with ADHD and had perfectly legitimate reasons for taking Adderall.   I think he was just aloof about the paperwork.

Just now, Aglets said:

My only comment on this is that I believe that Davis absolutely has been diagnosed with ADHD and had perfectly legitimate reasons for taking Adderall.   I think he was just aloof about the paperwork.

Ok. Did he have a prescription? Or was he just getting it?

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok. Did he have a prescription? Or was he just getting it?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-spring-training-0228-20150227-story.html

It isn't overtly stated here, but the way I read it is that he was diagnosed with ADHD in 2008 and started taking Adderall to treat it.  AFAIK that is a prescription drug, so I have to assume he had a prescription unless there is evidence to the contrary.

o

If I recall correctly (which I very well may not), Chris Davis was given an exemption to take Adderall for one season.

The following season, MLB DID NOT approve that same drug for that same player (Chris Davis, Adderil.) Davis chose to continue using the drug anyway, which led to his 25-game suspension later that season.

If that is correct, I have no idea why MLB would make an exemption of a specific drug for a player one year, and then change that stipulation the next.

If that is not correct, please disregard this post.

o