Is Sisco Toast?

Aristotelian

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I wasn't blaming him, it was a tough hop and a poor throw. I was responding to the idea that if Villar had made the catch the runner would have been safe which is incorrect. I don't have video of it that I can post but I watched the replay several times and the runner would have been out.

Gotcha. Yeah, he would have been out, at least by a couple of feet.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

His issue has been more mechanical than his actual arm. There are times he puts it all together and it's a good thing. Then there are times he doesn't, looks absolutely awful on a throw, and Wilkerson is relaying it back into the infield as the runner goes from 1st to 3rd on the steal/throw.

He might be alright at third. @Tony-OH and @Luke-OH would be able to comment on his lateral speed, glove, ect as far as it playing there.

He has very slow feet and is slow of foot, but I'd like to see what he looks like at 3B.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who are you going to bring in?  Are you going to expend resources for a place holder for a 100 loss team?  He isn't doing as much damage to the team as Wilkerson is in center.

I think Wilkerson is playing out of position, and considering that he’s doing OK. Sisco is playing his position and is doing awful at it.

I realize that at the moment we don’t have anybody else, unless you want to bring up Sucre  again, and there’s not much point to that. But he’s not part of the solution, and frankly I’d be happy if Severino were a full-time catcher and Sisco the occasional back up, until such time as one of our other catchers is equally bad. At which point I would be happy to jettison Sisco

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I think Wilkerson is playing out of position, and considering that he’s doing OK. Sisco is playing his position and is doing awful at it.

I realize that at the moment we don’t have anybody else, unless you want to bring up Sucre  again, and there’s not much point to that. But he’s not part of the solution, and frankly I’d be happy if Severino were a full-time catcher and Sisco the occasional back up, until such time as one of our other catchers is equally bad. At which point I would be happy to jettison Sisco

He's not doing OK.  He's doing significantly worse than Sisco.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, Wilkerson dropped a routine fly ball yesterday with the bases loaded and didn't hit a home run, but sure Sisco lost the game singlehandedly.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's not doing OK.  He's doing significantly worse than Sisco.

There isn’t a person on this board who thinks Wilkerson is major league CF. Sisco came up as a C. To compare the two isn’t fair. 

It is completely reasonable to question Sisco at his position and wonder what his future is. 

I am fine with him continuing to play. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There isn’t a person on this board who thinks Wilkerson is major league CF. Sisco came up as a C. To compare the two isn’t fair. 

It is completely reasonable to question Sisco at his position and wonder what his future is. 

I am fine with him continuing to play. 

It's completely reasonable to question Wilkerson and wonder what his future is.

It isn't just Wilkerson's glove that is hurting the team.

Sisco has been pretty much replacement level.  As a non-everyday catcher making the league minimum on a 100 loss team that's acceptable.

The O's frankly have other things to worry about.

Folks just like dumping on the kid.

No one is suggesting Sisco's a long term answer right?  Anyone clamoring to extend him?

35 minutes ago, Philip said:

What is Wilkersons position. I have seen him play second and third and he is really terrible there.  

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's completely reasonable to question Wilkerson and wonder what his future is.

It isn't just Wilkerson's glove that is hurting the team.

Sisco has been pretty much replacement level.  As a non-everyday catcher making the league minimum on a 100 loss team that's acceptable.

The O's frankly have other things to worry about.

Folks just like dumping on the kid.

No one is suggesting Sisco's a long term answer right?  Anyone clamoring to extend him?

Wilkerson was never a top 100 prospect. Fair or not it is normal for people to have higher expectations of players who are highly touted. 

Hoping he would turn into a solid C after years of hearing about him isn’t being dumped on. 

No doubt this team has more important issues to worry about but if anyone was hoping for more with his defense I just don’t see it. He also can’t hit LHP. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am the one that doubted that Sisco had the bat for third right?

Pretty sure that was me.

So why is it an issue that Sisco’s defense is a topic? I just think people were hoping for some improvement this year with the glove. I thought early on there was some modest things that were better. Overall I just don’t see enough. 

Once again I am fine with him playing.